Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.26630°N / 13.76040°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7907 ft / 2410 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Ennskraxe is a distinctive mountain between the Kleinarl valley and the valley of Kleinarl. It is seen from both sides as it is together with Kraxenkogel the highest mountain on the crest of Grießenkareck (1.991 m) -Saukarkopf (2.014 m) - Ahornkarkopf (1.923 m) - Brandstättkogel/Mooskopf (1.961 m) - Wildbühel (1.916 m) - Mosereck (1.960 m) - Ennskraxe (2.410 m) - Kraxenkogel (2.436 m) - Benzeck (2.076 m) - Schilcheck (2.040 m) - Liebeseck (2.305 m) - Bernkarkogel (2.336 m).

You can reach the summit from Flachauwinkel or from Kleinarl. There is no ropeway near the mountain so you have to make it "by fair means".

From the summit you have a broad summit view with a wonderful view of Dachstein group , Hochkönig group, Ankogel group and Glockner group with Großglockner, Grosses Wiesbachhorn etc.

On both sides, from Kleinarl and from Flachau, there are lovely mountain pastures like Steinkaralm or Unterennsalm and Täublalm and some beautiful mountains lakes. So this mountain is popular for locals because of this great scenery.

Getting There

a) Via Tauernautobahn to Flachau.
b) From Zell am See via Schwarzach and St. Johann/Pongau to Wagrain.

Then you have 2 possibilities:
a) To Kleinarl via Wagrain
b) To Flachauwinkl via Flachau

Routes:

a) From Kleinarl:
You can drive by car some of the road to "Jausenstation Ennskraxe". But there are very view parking possibilities, so it is better to start directly in Kleinarl or to park on the road to "Jausenstation Ennskraxe".
Kleinarl - Jausenstation Ennskraxe: 1 h

From the Jausenstation you have 2 possibilities, first is to hike on a forest road to Steinkaralm.
But the very beautiful alternative is to pass the Jausenstation and hike on wonderful flower meadows to Steinkaralm. You hike through woods, see small streams, wonderful flowers...
Jausenstation Ennskraxe - Steinkaralm: 1 h 30 minutes

From Steinkaralm the ascent gets steeper and more challenging. You pass a wonderful mountain lake and you reach the North flank of Ennskraxe where often are steep snow fields in the early summer. Then you reach the NW-ridge where you ascent on a steep route to the summit with the cross.

Time: From Kleinarl: ca. 4 h


b) From Flachauwinkl
You hike to Ennslehen and next to the Enns river to Unterennsalm and Täublalm. Then hike to Oberennsalm and on a small trail to Steinkarsattel. From this saddle you descend to the beautiful mountain lake which is directly below the north flank of Ennskraxe. There you reach the route from Kleinarl.
Time from Flachauwinkl: ca. 5 hours

Both routes are marked red and there are often signs with "Ennskraxe" and the time you need.
So it´s easy to find the route. But you should be free from giddiness and a secure hiker.

Another possibility is to traverse the ridge from Kraxengogel: Exposed ridge, rock difficulty I, fragile rock, time 30 minutes from summit to summit.

Trail to SteinkaralmFirst part of the ascent of Kleinarl
First passage after SteinkaralmBetween Steinkaralm ant the North Wall
Snowfields in the North flankSnowfield in the North flank

Red Tape

No red tape - but respect range land.

Camping

In Kleinarl and Flachau are no camping places. But in summer several cheap accomodations.
Camping places are in:
Camping Kastenhof - 5600 St. Johann im Pongau, Kastenhofweg 6
Camping Hirschenwirt - 5600 St. Johann im Pongau, Bundesstrasse 1
Campingplatz Passrucker - 5541 Altenmarkt, Zauchenseestrasse 341
Sonnenterrassen-Camping St. Veit - 5620 St. Veit, Bichlwirt 12
Camping Aschau - 5612 Hüttschlag, Karteis 24

External Links

Homepage Kleinarl
Hoempage Flachau/
Homepage Wagrain

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Radstaedter TauernMountains & Rocks