Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.17781°N / 13.31406°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7982 ft / 2433 m
Sign the Climber's Log
GlingspitzeGlingspitze above Tappenkarsee - romantic mountain scenery at its best

Overview

One of the probably most beautiful approaches to the Radstädter Tauern is the way from the north through Kleinarltal (Kleinarl Valley).
JägerseeJägersee - the approach to Glingspitze
Coming from Wagrain the road ends at the idyllic Jägersee (Lake Jäger) from where a steep and long footpath leads to Tappenkarsee (Lake Tappenkar) and the subsequent Tappenkar, a long and highly romantic valley (more a glen than a valley, if you know what I mean).

The southern end of Tappenkar is marked by Glingspitze, a well-formed mountain that provides a wonderful panorama to the highlights of the Radstädter Tauern, Weißeck and Mosermandl, as well as exciting views to Hafnergroup and Ankogelgroup.

The way to the summit is very long but not difficult. For its remote and desolate location Glingspitze is a must for nature lovers.

Getting There

a) Via Tauernautobahn to Flachau and then to Wagrain.
b) From Zell am See via Schwarzach and St. Johann/Pongau to Wagrain.

From Wagrain follow the signs to Grafenbergbahn. A few kilometres past Kleinarl the street ends at Jägersee. From there a toll road leads to Schwabalm, but it is opened only during summer months. The road is closed from October to June, but since the distance between Jägersee and Schwabalm is mere 3.5 kilometres it can be hiked without problems. The valley is very romantic and has a slight note of Little Canada ;-)

From Schwabalm a long and steep footpath ascends along a large rock face. The path provides easy going, and as a highlight the way comes at one point VERY close to a waterfall.

On the top of the rock face the way leads along the west shore of the Tappenkarsee (Lake Tappenkar). Passing the Tappenkarseehut you cross the valley to the east, beginning to ascend the Tappenkar along a downstreaming river. After many serpentines you reach the upper end of Tappenkar, called Haselstein. From here a good path leads west along the east-shoulder to the summit of Glingspitze.

Under good conditions you can go an alternate way for descent. For this you pass under the crags west of the summit and head to Hierzeck (2069 m). From this point a very good visible highline-trail leads north. You traverse Glettentörl and Kreuzeck (2205 m) and finally descend via Karteistörl to Tappenkarseehut. From here the descend is the same way as the ascend.

GlingspitzeLooking down towards the highline-trail to Kreuzeck


For the whole trip you should calculate 9 hours. The paths are completely easy to go, but the highline trail should be done only under good conditions, because the traverse under the crags of Glingspitze is very exposed.



Red Tape

There is no red tape.

Camping

There are no camping places in Kleinarl and Wagrain, but lots of hotels and pensions.

Camping places are at:
Camping Kastenhof - 5600 St. Johann im Pongau, Kastenhofweg 6
Camping Hirschenwirt - 5600 St. Johann im Pongau, Bundesstrasse 1
Campingplatz Passrucker - 5541 Altenmarkt, Zauchenseestrasse 341
Sonnenterrassen-Camping St. Veit - 5620 St. Veit, Bichlwirt 12
Camping Aschau - 5612 Hüttschlag, Karteis 24

External Links

Tappenkarseehut

Information on Wagrain

Information on Kleinarl
WeißgrubenkopfWeißgrubenkopf opposite Tappenkarseealm - dreaming of the next tour ...



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Radstaedter TauernMountains & Rocks