Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.13336°N / 115.4888°W
Additional Information County: Clark
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5934 ft / 1809 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

ET labelEva's Tower
This climb discovered by local legends, Branch Whitney and his friend Davis, begins near the Pine Creek trailhead and heads across the desert to the east face of Bridge Point where it enters a large gully above the initial cliffs and ascends midway up said gully before heading left up a crack system to climb clockwise around Eva’s Tower while ascending. The final summit climb is from the back side of Eva’s Tower (ET) and the top offers grand views of the Red Rock canyon valley floor as well as the impressive cliffs guarding Bridge Point behind ET. The distance to the summit is perhaps 1 ½ miles and elevation gain is estimated at 2,100’ taking into account several descents along the route. Time for this climb should be about 4 hours roundtrip. This is one of the peaks making up the 52 Peak Club list.

Getting There

If you are coming from Charleston blvd and the 215 beltway, drive SW on Hwy 159 (Charleston) about 4 ½ miles to the entrance to Red Rock NCA. Enter the park and follow the 13 mile loop about 10 miles to just before the entrance to the Pine Creek trailhead. There is a small pullout on the left side of the highway with space for 2 or 3 vehicles.

Red Tape

National Park entrance fees apply in Red Rock National Conservation area. Hours of operations vary by season. See Red Rock NCA Home Page

Camping

There is a campground located south of SR159 two miles east of the entrance to RRCNCA. There is no developed campground within Red Rock NCA, although backcountry camping with a permit is allowed.

Route Description

Entering main gullyEntering main gully
From the parking area, start hiking west across the desert about one hundred and fifty yards before descending about 80’ into a wash and begin climbing up the alluvial fan toward the main gully that starts the climb.
crack system looking southcrack system looking south
GPS coordinates near the entrance to the main gully are 36.13423N 115.48595W. From there, work your way up toward GPS coordinates 36.13436N 115.48890W where the climbing turns sharp left and begins an ascending southerly climb. The route flows clockwise up several crack systems passing around the base of Eva’s Tower. There are numerous cairns marking the route. A lot of effort has been made to clear brush along the route and this greatly aids in following the route between cairns.
Looking down E Facelooking down E Face
After gaining about 800’ and crossing beneath some impressive dark red walls to about 5,600’ elevation, the route turns west and heads lower.
final wrap aroundfinal wrap around(see red arrows)
From this point you need to gain access to the final climb by losing about 150’ to reach the corner shown in this photo.
View toward NESummit view toward North
From this location the climb heads more northerly toward the summit. (Click on photo of final wrap around to left to see red arrows)