Crest Peak(North Peak limestone)

Crest Peak(North Peak limestone)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.13446°N / 115.51842°W
Additional Information County: clark
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7244 ft / 2208 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Willow Creek start
start of Rocky Gap road
This is a peak located about 1 1/2 miles up from the trailhead for Bridge Mountain which is near the top of Rocky Gap Road. It is probably the best trail hike to a peak in the NCA since it is less steep and there is much less loose scree than the hikes to Turtlehead Peak or North Peak (sandstone).

There are a couple options available for reaching the summit which require (1) either high clearance 4 WD or, (2) a nice long hike. My preference has been to park near the end of the pavement at the Willow Springs picnic area and hike up the Rocky Gap road for about 4 1/2 miles gaining about 1,800’ elevation before heading up the trail that goes to Bridge Mountain. 
Bridge Mountain from the ridge
View east from ridgeline
The elevation gain to the summit is an additional 800’ from said trailhead for Bridge Mountain and time required for the climb and return is about 4 - 5 hours for a fit climber using option (2). Distance traveled to reach the summit and return using the road is about 12 miles roundtrip. The views surrounding this summit are outstanding with views of the Las Vegas valley lying beyond the summits of Bridge mountain and Mt Wilson.

 
Peak 2208 route
Route to Peak 2208

Getting There

From Charleston Blvd and the 215 Beltway in the western part of Las Vegas, take Charleston Blvd. (Highway 159) west for about 5 miles until you reach the entrance to Red Rock Canyon NCA. Once inside the park, follow the 13 mile loop road for about 7 miles to the Willow Creek parking area. You should allow about 30 minutes driving time from the strip to the entrance station.

Red Tape

 
View toward NW
view toward NW
National Park entrance fees apply in Red Rock National Conservation area. Hours of operations vary by season. See Red Rock NCA Home Page


Camping

 
View toward the south
View south
There is a campground located south of SR159 two miles east of the entrance to RRCNCA. There is no developed campground within Red Rock NCA, although backcountry camping with a permit is allowed.

Route description

Begin hiking up the Rocky Gap Road at the Willow Springs picnic area. You will hike about 4 1/2 miles before reaching the trailhead for the hike to Bridge Mountain. Take that same trail until you reach the ridge top and then head left along the ridge for about .3 mile to the obvious summit which is about 7,245’ elevation (shown as 2208 meters on the USGS maps)

When to climb

Spring and Fall are the peak seasons as it becomes extremely hot in the summer. Winter can be an excellent time as well unless snow and ice accumulate from winter storms making the hike too hazardous. This is most likely to occur in January and February.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Mar 1, 2016 2:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Crest Peak

This summit is called Crest Peak in both Zdon's Desert Summits and Purcell's Rambles & Scrambles. Might be good to change the name of the page to avoid confusion with the actual North Peak.

jimegan

jimegan - Mar 1, 2016 2:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Crest Peak

Thanks Bob. I was not aware of this name and used the trail marker moniker.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.