Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 21, 2009
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring

Hey Dad, Happy Fathers Day

At the summit of Mt Adams a slender hand comes out of its mitten and I hear “Happy Fathers day, Dad!” It is my 16 year old son, Tanner, who likes winter mountaineering as much as I do. He is on his High School snowboard team, so where there is snow, that’s where he is likely to be.
Tanner at the TrailheadDad, I am so excited, lets go!


So the snowboard is coming, right? Ten extra pounds on his pack and of course, he is willing to endure that. You don’t know how many times we got bonked on the head by his snowboard on the way up. It did make a fine cook table at the Lunch Counter.

Our crew includes two other dads, two of my dearest friends.

Day One

Trailhead #183Trailhead for the #183 South Spur
The day started off at the Cold Springs campground, where our first glimpse of fun was a very neat little grey fox scavenging around a campsite. We snapped a couple shots of him and we hit the #183 trailhead, then we were on our way.

The GangChewin up the #183

We slogged up to the Lunch Counter (Suksdorf Ridge) where we busted out our tents and make camp. Before we got the water boiling, we noticed a goat across the snowfield on some rock. A mountain goat on Adams?
Close upLocal Resident


I thought goats didn’t like crowds. After Tanner ate 1.5 mountain house meals, we went to explore. My buddy Matt got within about 40 feet of this guy and we got some great pictures. A great way to end day one with the sun going down over the LC, just an amazing place to be.

Lunch Counter SunsetSun setting at the Lunch Counter (Suksdorf Ridge)

Day Two

Sure is a lot of snoring going on at 7:00 am. Its Fathers day—where’s my breakfast in bed? Oh right, I am in a tent @9200 ft and only one of my children is with me and he is not getting up to make me breakfast. So I made him Backpacker Pantry Biscuits and Gravy.

Time to get everybody up and get ready for our summit push. We got no sleep on Friday, so we all agreed the night before to sleep in a little. At 8:00am we push off for Piker’s Peak. 30 degree snow climb? Huh. I didn’t take the time to measure, but it was steeper than 30 deg.
Cows FaceCowsface on day one on the South Spur

It is not dangerous, but steep. We got up to Piker’s, took a long rest and started the trek to the summit.
Summit Push400 feet below the summit of Mt Adams


On the summit somebody left the freezer door open as the winds kicked up and the temperature dropped way down. We put our glissade pants on here (I don’t know why we didn’t wait until Piker’s) and trekked back to Piker’s Peak where my son picked up his cached snowboard, then everyone took off for the 2200ft fun time. I haven’t glissaded in years and am real rusty, not to mention I would be a like a freight train out of control and might hurt someone if I got too much speed going.

Idaho Invades Mt Adams Very happy group of summiteers, "splattski" style summit photo


So I invented a new technique. I call it Gliss-SLEDING. That’s where you plow down the mountain much like a glissade but end up with a 300lb snow ball between your knees and your butt crack. Refreshing!

Hey, what are those fast moving clouds and wind coming from? Hurry, pack up camp and our packs and let’s get out of here. Packed up in 30 minutes and we started glissading on our fannies, feet, plunge stepping, and sprinting for the Cold Springs Campground. It took us 50 minutes with a couple of five-minute breaks. We arrived just in time for the ice, hail and snow to start beating us in the face and vroom—we were outta there.

Did I mention I forgot to call my wife this day? I had cell service for most of it and just couldn’t find the right time. So back home, she was planning funerals, but wanted me alive so she could kill me again (for dying or not calling).

Despite the population on Mt Adams and the 400 mile approach from Boise Idaho, this was one of the greatest experiences I have had in many years. I have no regrets (well—besides not calling my wife or having her on the mountain with me). I was with my two dearest friends and my oldest son who was able to greet me with a “Happy Fathers Day” on the summit of Mt Adams.


Rock On!
Pikers Peak Dan, Matt, Steve and Tanner


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-20 of 20
Bill Reed

Bill Reed - Jun 27, 2009 10:45 am - Voted 10/10

Awesome!!

What a great way to spend Father's Day!

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Jun 27, 2009 11:08 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome!!

I totaly agree. Thanks for reading my stuff.

Steve

TJ311

TJ311 - Jun 27, 2009 2:08 pm - Voted 10/10

Sounds like

a fun day!

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Jun 27, 2009 11:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Sounds like

Hey homie, thank you it certainly was! hope you are doing well.
:-)

lcarreau

lcarreau - Jun 27, 2009 11:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Looks great, Steve!

I would have brought a couple of balls and clubs with me, and
"teed off" at Piker's Peak. Of course, I'd have some of them
"passionate pink" balls with me, so you can see them in the snow.

Also, there's nothin' like a Jimmy Dean sausage on Dad's Day.

Other than that, looks like an outstanding time on Adams !!!

Word.

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Jun 27, 2009 11:33 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Looks great, Steve!

Thank you Larry! I did think about bombing a couple off of Pikers but I would have to draw the line on pink balls. Thank you brother for reading my stuff. You are truly a great supporter of everyones stuff!

Steve

lcarreau

lcarreau - Jun 27, 2009 11:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Looks great, Steve!

WORD.

ChristianRodriguez

ChristianRodriguez - Jun 29, 2009 12:36 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice trip

I hope some day go to the mountains with my dad, but he hates mountains hehehe.

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Jun 30, 2009 8:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice trip

Hey Chris, ¡Espero que su papi pueda cambiar su mente e ir con usted! gracias por leer mi materia.

Todo mi mejor,

Esteabn

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Jul 2, 2009 10:55 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Fun!

Hey Mike, it was GREAT. Thank you for your vote and kind comments! Congrats on Da Hood! did you dodge any ice fall? LOL Come on up to Idaho, you would like it just as much as the Cascades! Sawtooths are perfect in July / August.

Steve

rpc

rpc - Jul 7, 2009 5:04 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice!

Steve- good to hear you & your son have a good relationship going. A family that climbs together, stays together. cheers man.

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Jul 7, 2009 6:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Thank you

Thanks Radec for the kind words. We kept looking over at Hood for 24 hours and tried to guess where his Grandmas house would in relation to the peak. I tried to convince everyone that we needed to go to Rooster Rock for a dip afterwards...LOL

icypeak

icypeak - Jul 8, 2009 7:45 pm - Voted 10/10

Congrats Steve...

...you did it! Way to go...must have been a great feeling of accomplishment...what's next?

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Jul 9, 2009 1:10 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Congrats Steve...

Thank you my sister from the north. Will have to do something with some SPers. Maybe something in the Sawtooths.

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Jul 14, 2009 11:35 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Congrats Steve...

ok...I have been holding out....the Great Tahoma? It might be the next big one.

icypeak

icypeak - Jul 14, 2009 7:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Congrats Steve...

Just do it!

alexquick - Jul 21, 2010 10:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Happy belated fAthers dY

Awesome TR

SawtoothExplorer

SawtoothExplorer - Aug 17, 2010 11:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Thats good stuff there

Looks like you had a blast!

fredzurensick - Jul 22, 2011 11:59 am - Hasn't voted

Goat?

Goats are the best, aside from marmots. Anyway, sounds like you had a great trip. I'm going up there later today, so wish me luck.

JoelSkok

JoelSkok - Mar 18, 2013 11:15 pm - Voted 10/10

Enviable trip

Glad you made it, on Father's Day no less. Hope my kids read this and get the hint. I'd be raring to go so long as my son didn't pull a Tanner and eat more than his fair share of the food. Great write up! 10/10

Viewing: 1-20 of 20