Forest Road 379 variation

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.79140°N / 104.9933°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the Forest Road 379 directions to Frosty Park.

Route Description


This is a variation to the Forest Road 379 route that will save you quite a few annoying switchbacks on an old road that is on the quad. From Forest Road 379 at Frosty Park, hike north on 379 about 3/4 mile to 10260'. Take an old road n.w. , which crosses 379 again at 10600'. Continue following the narrow road west as it parallels the road to 11060', at which point the road trends s.w. and south to a switchback at ~11200'. The road then gently climbs the s.w. slope of Almagre and rejoins 379 at 11600'. I did this with 4-8" of snow, and it was still much faster than the road. With fresh snow, this route would probably be slower and difficult to find. See the GPS track log of this route in the photos section.

Essential Gear


Basic hiking gear

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.