Forest Road 379

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.79140°N / 104.9933°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Quick Facts


2-wheel drive trailhead (some choose to bike up the road to the reservoir, then hike to the summit)
Trailhead Elevation: 9,800'
Total Climbing: about 2,700'
Distance: 7.5 miles (one-way)

4-wheel drive trailhead
Trailhead Elevation: 11,800'
Total Climbing: about 625'
Distance: 1.5 miles (one-way)

Approach


From Gold Camp Road, turn onto Forest Road 379. You will need 4WD (or better yet, a mountain bike) on FR 379. Drive past Frosty Park, then Deer Park, then turn right onto FR 379A. The road is gated at about 11,800'. Find a good place to park, then hike around the gate.

Route Description


Hike around the gate and continue along the 4WD road, which leads to Stratton Reservoir.

As an alternative, find the trail that leads from the flat section just below the gate. It has a sign at the beginning that says "No Vehicles". This descends slightly, then, past a sign that says "No Motor Vehicles", ascends to the reservoir.

Go around the reservoir by crossing the spillway, then follow the trail up to the saddle. The summit is just past the saddle. From here you'll have a great view of Pikes Peak.

Take the time to walk around and explore the mountain. You'll see different views from different parts of the mountain. Return back to the reservoir. If you have time, follow the 4WD road up to Baldy and the radio towers for some more unique views.

Essential Gear


Since this is a pretty short hike you won't need to bring much. Water, sunscreen, and your camera should suffice.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.