Gorgonio and Jepson from Vivian Creek

Gorgonio and Jepson from Vivian Creek

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 9, 2008
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Did Gorgonio via Vivian Creek. Started at 7:30 and made the summit at about 1:15. It was a perfect day, cool weather and great views in all directions. After enjoying my customary turkey leg and Sierra Nevada, left the summit at about 2:00 and look the S.B. divide trail west about 3/4 mile and scrambled up the side of Mt. Jepson which is the 2nd highest peak in So Cal at 11,205. It was a cool side trip which gives a slightly different set of views such as Gorgonio and Jacinto together but I dobut there is a wide enough camera lens to capture both... great views to the north from Jepson too.

The side trip to Jepson added about 1.5 to 1.75 miles and about 500 ft. in gain/loss round trip (making the total trip about 17.5 miles and almost 6000 ft. in gain) and got me back to the Vivian Trail junction at about 3:30. Was back to the car right at 7:30 for a nice round 12 hour trip which is ironic since yesterday was the equinox.

My feet and knees were killing on the way down the steep sections and I needed a headlamp for the final stretch of Vivian switchbacks. Overall, a great trip.

Comments

No comments posted yet.