Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.04397°N / 13.00328°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9623 ft / 2933 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Herzog Ernst - In winter/spring a seldom climbed mountain in the Goldberg Group due to the nearer higher mountains (Hoher Sonnblick and Hocharn).

Ascending Herzog ErnstSki Ascent Herzog Ernst (left summit)


In summer several marked trails lead to the summit (e.g. Pröllweg from Niedersachsenhaus and Naturfreundehaus Neubau).

Riffelhöhe and Neunerkogel (Goldberggruppe)Riffelhöhe and Neunerkogel (Pröllweg)

Getting There

Salzburg


Herzog Ernst can be climbed from Kolm Saigurn (Rauris Valley) via Naturfreundehaus Neubau or Niedersachsenhaus or Sportgastein (Gastein Valley) via Niedersachsenhaus.

Carinthia


Access from Carinthia via Außer- and Innerfragant (Möllvalley) via Duisburger Hütte.

Red Tape

Herzog Ernst is located within the Hohe Tauern National Park. No fees accept toll road to Kolm Saigurn or Sportgastein.

When To Climb

Winter - Spring


The mountain can be climbed nearly all over the year.
For ski touring the best months are March to May/June. In summer/all the best months hikers are Jule to September/October.

Descending Herzog ErnstHerzog Ernst Ski Descent
Descending Herzog ErnstWintergasse
Ski Descent near Naturfreundehaus NeubauSkiing near
Naturfreundehaus Neubau


Summer


Pröllweg leads from Niedersachsenhaus to Herzog Ernst

Places to Stay

in/from Kolm Saigurn


Ammerer Hof
Naturfreundehaus
Naturfreundehaus Neubau
Niedersachsenhaus

Ammererhof - Kolm Saigurn (Goldberg Group)Ammererhof
Niedersachsenhaus and Herzog ErnstNiedersachsenhaus


from Gasteiner Valley


Niedersachsenhaus
B&Bs in Gasteiner Valley

from Innerfragant (Carinthia)


Duisburger Hütte - located in the ski resort (Mölltaler Gletscher)

Maps and Guidebooks

Maps


The following maps will be useful:

Alpenvereinskarte 42 (1:25.000) - best quality
Österreichische Karte 154 (Austrian Map 1:25.000 and 1:50.000, also good quality)

Books


Skitouren Nationalpark Hohe Tauern by Rudolf Weiss ISBN 3-85423-034-6 (out of print)


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Goldberg GroupMountains & Rocks