Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.00670°N / 10.90870°E
Additional Information Elevation: 11138 ft / 3395 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Hohe Geige is the main mountain of the long ridge called „Geigenkamm“ that runs between the Pitztal valley and the Oetztal valley.
This is one of the easier 3000m mountains in the East Alps and it is frequented during summer by a lot of climbers because of this (easily do-able in one day). However, the Rüsselsheimer Hut on the way is no major gateway, so there is still less traffic than in other parts of the Alps where one has access to more 3000m peaks. Rüsselsheimer hut has suffered a renaming recently. For decades it has been well known as “Chemnitzer” hut, so older maps might still have this name.
The Hohe Geige gives you great views of the great mountains and glaciers in the Ötztal Valley and the Pitztal Valley .
The easiest route does not require rope and crampons, but orientation may become difficult with new snow and fog.
When I climbed the mountain, the markings were not clearly visible because of snow and we accidentally moved towards the "Westridge" (steel ropes are on this way). On this way, people who do the Ridge (a second possibility to reach the top from the Rüsselsheimer hut) normally get to the normal route in the other direction (because the top part of the Grat gets more difficult).
So don't underestimate the mountain.

Getting There


The trailhead of this tour is Plangeross in the PITZTAL Valley . The Pitztal Valley is a side valley of the Inntal Valley in Tirol.
Parking is possible free of charge just before the small village Plangeross.

Red Tape


No

When To Climb


Usually July to September. Out of the season, avalanches are a big problem. Maybe some Backcountry skiing possible in Spring.

Camping


Normally people are staying at the Rüsselsheimer Hütte (inexpensive). Camping usually allowed half an hour from the hut.

Mountain Conditions


http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/Austria/Soelden.htm
shows you the weather fcst for Sölden, which is just round the corner. Weather.

Miscellaneous Info


best printed map is the map of the german/Austrian alpine club Nr. 30/3 “Kaunergrat-Geigenkamm” (thanks Mathias Zehring)

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Noah (Oregon)

Noah (Oregon) - Aug 2, 2006 8:36 am - Voted 9/10

Best Map

I just bought the DAV map (Alpensvereinskarte) and the number is 30/5. It is a great map of the region. I think 30/3 might not cover as much of the Hohe Geige.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

GeigenkammMountains & Rocks