Huber Wash

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.16492°N / 113.06103°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Huber Wash is a dry streambed in the southwestern parts of Zion National Park. The wash originates on the slopes of the 7285 foot Mt. Kinesava and heads south. On its way to Virgin River, Huber Wash crosses Chinle Trail and Route 9.

The 2.4 mile section of Huber Wash between Route 9 and Chinle Trail has been traditionally used as a short day hike. The hike takes you through a colorful desert and gives you spectacular views of the south wall of Mt. Kinesava. In its upper portions, Huber Wash flows through a small canyon. Just before the junction with Chinle Trail, a dry waterfall presents a serious obstacle to the hiker. If you do not want to deal with going up canyon walls, you should end your hike at the dry waterfall. See the “Huber Wash” links at the bottom of this page for information about reaching Chinle Trail.

Huber Wash does not have an official established trail but the path is easy to follow. To protect the fragile desert environment, please remain at the bottom of the wash. You are unlikely to see any significant amount of flowing water in the wash but you should be ready to deal with mud. Salt covers much of the ground at the bottom of the wash. Pieces of petrified wood can also be seen scattered around.




Map
Map


Getting There

From the southern entrance of Zion National Park in Springdale, UT get on Route 9 and head west. Go Through the town of Rockville. Six miles after the park entrance, just to the west of Rockville, you will see a pullout on the north side of the road. This is your trailhead. You will not see any signs for Huber Wash here but a small transformer station on the north side of the road can help you identify the correct pullout. You will find a fence and a gate that is not locked. To start the hike, go through the gate and close it behind you.

GPS coordinates for trailhead are:
37 deg, 09.895 min North
113 deg, 03.662 min West




Beautiful
Huber Wash


Route Description

All distances are per my GPS.









Place
Elevation
Distance
Route 9
3750 ft
zero miles
End (Dry Fall)
4080 ft
2.4 miles



From the pullout area on Route 9, go through the gate in the fence and close it behind you. You will follow a dirt road a short distance north going by the transformer station. Note the colorful slopes on the hills around you. This area is known as the Painted Desert.




Painted Desert
Painted Desert
Painted Desert
Painted Desert


At the end of the road, follow the beaten path and go down the slopes to enter Huber Wash. You will note the fence identifying the park boundary. Go through the opening in the fence and enter the park. Follow the bottom of the wash north.

In some places the wash will be an open channel on the floor of the desert.




Open Channel
Open Channel
Open Channel
Open Channel


In other places big walls appear on the sides of the wash.






Wall
Wall
Wall
Wall
Wall, Mt. Kinesava
Wall, Mt. Kinesava
Wall
Wall


Mt. Kinesava is usually in good view.



Mt. Kinesava
Mt. Kinesava


As you go higher, you will note more trees around the wash.






More Trees
More Trees
More Trees
More Trees
More Trees
More Trees
More Trees
More Trees


You will then note a canyon with yellow colored walls forming around you.





Yellow Canyon
Canyon
Yellow Canyon
Canyon
Yellow Canyon
Canyon


You will soon reach the dry waterfall where the hike ends. My guidebook (see bottom of the page) mentions “a petrified logjam on the high shelf to the right of the wash”. See the websites and guidebook under "External Links" for information about going up the wall of the canyon to reach Chinle Trail.



Dry Waterfall
Dry Waterfall


Red Tape

You must pay park entrance fee. There are no fee booths near Huber wash. You must pay in the town of Springdale or elsewhere.

No permits needed for day hikes. See link below for all rules and regulations:
http://www.nps.gov/zion/index.htm

Weather & When to Hike

See the forecast for Springdale, UT.

Summer in this area is generally very hot and dry. Autumn and spring are the best hiking times. Winter is usually mild.

External Links

Websites:

1) Huber Wash, Joe’s Guide to Zion National Park.
2) Huber Wash, Zion National Park.


Books:
A Falcon Guide, "Hiking Zion & Bryce Canyon National Parks", Eric Molvar & Tamara Martin.


Maps:
National Geographic, "Zion National Park, Utah, USA" #214