Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.93400°N / 6.83800°E
Additional Information County: Chamonix-Mont-Blanc
Activities Activities: Hiking, Trad Climbing
Additional Information Elevation: 8284 ft / 2525 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Gateway to numerous multi-pitch rock climbs located within minutes of the Brevent telepherique, Le Brevent also hosts a fabulous route that takes you right up to the telepherique, the Aiguilles Rouges equivalent of the Arete des Cosmiques, Voie Frison-Roche. Other Aig. Rouges pages on SP: Aiguille de la Glière. Aiguilles Crochues. Aiguille de la Persévérance Aiguille L'Index La Grande Floria Highly recommend the guide book, Les Aiguilles Rouges, by Thomas Dulac and Godefroy Perroux, available all over Chamonix. Contains all you need to know about the climbing possibilities offered throughout the North side of the Chamonix valley.

Getting There

Chamonix, then follow the signs for the Brevent telepherique and get a ticket to the top if you like things easy or to the middle level and then walk up an hour and a half to the start of the climb...you could walk up from the valley as well, whatever suites your fancy but you can see the Voie Frison-Roche from almost anywhere in Chamonix, it is a bit to the right, under the telepherique station at the top of Le Brevent.

Routes Overview

Under Construction

When To Climb

may thru October

Camping

Plenty of camping in Chamonix...so you should never find yourself in the position that you have to use Les Drus campground. The people that run it are NOT worth dealing with. If you want the full story ask me. If you are looking for a nice place that is cheap, it's a bit far afield but Camping des Montets toward Vallorcine was a winner at 5.8 euro/night for person/tent combo (reduces to 5.1euro/night if stay is longer than 3 days). L'Ile des Barrats located right across from the hospital in Chamonix was a winner at 10.30 euro/night for a person/tent combo and located 15-20 min. walk from Aig. Midi station. Both have good, hot water showers provided in the cost. For when the weather is wet can recommend the gite, Le Chamoniard Volant. The owners, Sylvaine and Erick, do a good job of dealing with almost every situation. Winter Campgrounds around Chamonix: Les Deux Glaciers, located in Les Bossons open from Dec. 15 to Nov. 15 tel: +33 (0)450 53 15 84...offer all inclusive price of 12.50 euro for 2 people/tent/auto. Les Rosieres, between Les Praz and Chamonix on the North side of the L'Arve River open from Feb. 2 to Sep. 30 tel: +33 (0)4 50 53 10 42; www.campinglesrosieres.com. I'd like to hear other peoples experiences with campgrounds and gites in Chamonix so to keep frequenting the good and not bothering with the rest. Bivy is possible in Aiguilles Rouges area.

Mountain Conditions

The OHM website in Chamonix, send them an email and they will respond with their latest info regarding routes. Chamonix weather

Miscellaneous Info

Also see Rahel's excellent Mt. Blanc Group page and Mountaindog's Chamonix Valley Crags' page for more info on campgrounds, how to get there and other information. For all info on rates, hours, accessibility, etc for Brevent telepherique. Dated but well writen article that covers a lot of info regarding alpine climbing and the bolting of routes on the Mont Blanc Massif and beyond. If you like a bit of history or just want to know what's up with all the bolted routes, you'll enjoy this article.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Aiguilles RougesMountains & Rocks