Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.18000°N / 121.78°W
Additional Information Elevation: 7810 ft / 2380 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Little Brother sits at the base of North Sister and the Collier Glacier in Oregon’s Three Sisters Wilderness. It is relatively unknown and unclimbed peak because it is dwarfed by it's bigger Sisters. While it is not a 10,000+-foot peak like the Three Sisters that tower above, it is a fun scramble with breathtaking views of North, Middle, and Collier Glacier, Oregon's largest glacier. Views also include all of the Cascades to the north to Mt. Hood, Collier Cone, The Husband, and miles of lava flows in the wilderness area. Makes for a fun scramble in an incredible area

Getting There


Little Brother can be reached by way of the Pacific Crest Trail. There are 3 different approaches, all of which are about the same distance. Options are available to turn this into a very nice loop for a long day hike, or an overnight backpacking trip with amazing campsites along the way. All of the trailheads can be found along HWY 242 (McKenzie Pass Highway).

Obsidian and Scott Trails can be accessed from the Frog Camp parking area. (NOTE: Frog Camp is not really a campground, just a loop with many parking spots) About 4 miles west of McKenzie Pass there is a well-marked sign for the Obsidian Trailhead (3528). From here you have an option to take either trail, Obsidian or Scott..

Another option is joining up with the PCT from the Lava Camp Lake area less than a mile east of McKenzie Pass.

Approaching from Sawyer Bar on the PCT below Oppie Dildock Pass appears to be a more direct route, but the views of Collier Glacier, North and South Sister, and Little Brother itself from the south rim of Collier Cone are unmatched.
It also appears that an approach from the south via the Sunshine area would be an an easy scramble as well, but I have only viewed this route from a distance. If you have any info on these routes please add it.

NOTE: If you plan on hiking the Obsidian Trail (3528) make sure you have a Limited Entry Permit – See Red Tape

Red Tape


You'll need a Northwest Forest Pass to park at the trailhead. No self-issuing pay station available at trailhead. Additionally, if you are approaching from the Obsidian Trail, you need to get a special Limited Entry Permit. It's required for day and night trips in to this area. These are free and only issued from the McKenzie Ranger District. They can be obtained over the phone or in person within 30 days of your trip. (see below for contact info)

When To Climb


The approach trails are generally open from mid-summer to late fall. The McKenzie HW is closed during winter making a winter approach extremely long. Summer months are best for climbing, and August wildflowers are amazing.

Camping


There are very nice campsites at Minnie Scott Spring and at Sunshine in the Obsidian Area. Campsites are also available along nearby HWY 242, such as Lava Camp, Scott Lake, and Frog Camp/Obsidian TH (Frog Camp has no tent sites, so be prepared to sleep in your vehicle)

Mountain Conditions


McKenzie Ranger District
57600 McKenzie Highway
McKenzie Bridge, OR 97413
541-822-3381

Sisters Ranger District
PO Box 249
Sisters, OR 97759
541-549-2111 or 541-549-7700
(located on the corner of Pine St. and Highway 20 in Sisters)

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

rpaul - Jul 21, 2005 3:51 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

From Sawyer bar it's a short scramble SSE up through dirt, loose rock, and alpine fir. A brief ridge leads to the summit.



From near the site of the old Sunshine Shelter (a trail marker here?), head NE through the scrub. You may not know you're close to the summit until you discover the empty space to the east. A quick way back to the trail is to find the spill of scree on the west side and plunge step through it (if you're not wearing sneakers).































Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Three Sisters WildernessMountains & Rocks