Middle Earth Wall (5.6-5.11a)

Middle Earth Wall (5.6-5.11a)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 30.37702°N / 98.11733°W
Activities Activities: Sport Climbing, Toprope
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cool Limestone Hold
Cool Limestone Hold

 

If the large collection of high-quality moderates were not already reason enough to want to climb here, Tolkien fans such as myself are going to love all the route names referencing their favorite stories.
 
Probably the most popular wall at North Shore, Middle Earth Wall has a fairly short approach and more than 20 bolted routes on what is still mostly sharp, sticky limestone (caveat-- air circulation and sun exposure are not as good here as they are at the main section of Reimers, so after a rain, seepage and generally wet rock can be an issue longer than one might expect).
 
Another attractive feature of Middle Earth Wall is the bolt spacing. "Old Reimers" has a reputation for high first bolts and runout, but at Middle Earth Wall, routes often have one or two more bolts than routes the same length at Old Reimers do. While that may make the purists and the old-timers cringe and rant, it makes things nicer for the vast majority that just want to come out and have fun while staying relatively safe. Still, some routes here are PG or R due to runout or bad falls.
 
By far, the best source for this wall and others here, whether online or in print, is John Hogge's Austin Climbing: Sport Routes and Deep Water Solos. Hogge, I should point out, put up and named several of the routes here.
 
The Mud LedgeThe Mud Ledge

Getting There

Trail SplitTrail Split-- go right for all but Matrix, Dude, and Unleashed
Reimers Ranch is located off Hamilton Pool Road about 6 miles west of its intersection with Ranch Road 12. It is about 45 minutes west from downtown Austin.
 
Once through the entrance station, drive to the end of the road (around 4 miles from the entrance station), following signs for "North Bank." 
 
The main access trail starts by the trash bins. By the disabled spots there is a trail that provides access to locations from which to rappel to Unleashed Wall or The Dude Wall.
 
Take the main trail down and then bear right, crossing the stream, at the junction shown above. Middle Earth Wall is about a 10-minute walk from parking.
 
Look for the sign below; it "appeared" sometime during the fall of 2016. If it is not there, look for the big "cave" seen in this picture. There will be a trail going to the cliffs.
 
Middle Earth Wall SignMiddle Earth Wall Sign

Routes

From left to right as you face the crag:
  • Flight from Mordor, 5.10b
  • Troll Teeth, 5.10b
  • The Fellowship, 5.9+-- Sustained and challenging. After I led it and struggled, my partner that day, a solid 5.11 leader, led it and remarked that it was "interesting."
  • Bilbo's Bag, 5.9-- Crux is pulling a bulge below the anchors.
  • Elvin Beauty, 5.10c
  • Tookish, 5.8-- A little awkward because it meanders right at one point and shares climbing space and fall zone with Blood of the Dwarves.
  • Blood of the Dwarves, 5.9-- Crux is from B1 to B2.
  • Hobbit Hole, 5.7
  • Fallohide, 5.7 PG-- Run out to B2.
  • One Ring to Rule Them All, 5.8 R-- The R is due to the bolt spacing. If you're solid at the grade, there won't be trouble, but a friend fairly new to leading took a fall below the anchors, went upside-down, and missed the deck by not a lot.
  • Amazing Legacy of J.R.R. Tolkien, 5.10a-- Crux is the start.
  • A Mortal Life, 5.10a-- Crux is the start, but the finish can be difficult for the grade unless you find the key holds.
  • Hello World, 5.8-- Interesting and fun. Can be extended through the roof on another bolt and anchors for 10d.
  • The Mines of Moria, 5.11a
  • Ringbearer, 5.11a R
  • Dwarves Rule, 5.10d
  • Orcs Drool, 5.10a-- Do a stemming start from the huge boulder. Finishes right of the small roof. This grade might feel height-dependent. I am 6' and had no trouble making clips and reaching key holds, but my partner (5'2") found it scary even though I left the draws for her to clip (and she has led 5.10 sport plenty of times).
  • Snagglefarkin, 5.10c
  • My Precious, 5.9-- Just left of Middle Earth Cave. Tough move off the ledge earns the 5.9; the rest is 5.7 or 5.8.
  • Middle Earth Cave, 5.6 (TR anchors only)-- Lead My Precious and then traverse to anchors to TR this fun, easy climb.
  • Halfling's Leaf, 5.8-- I'm one of many who thinks this feels more like 5.9 and is harder than My Precious. Follows a cool finger crack most of the way.
  • Smeagol, 5.9+R-- Runout after the second bolt, and a tricky sequence after the third.
  • Worm Tongue, 5.9 PG
  • Earth's End, 5.10a R
 
Middle Earth Wall, Left EndMiddle Earth Wall, Left End
Middle Earth WallMiddle Earth Wall
Middle Earth WallMiddle Earth Wall
Moria CaveMoria Cave
Dwarves Rule (5.10d) and Orcs Drool (5.10a)Dwarves Rule (5.10d) and Orcs Drool (5.10a)
Middle Earth CaveMiddle Earth Cave

 

 
 


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Reimers Ranch North ShoreMountains & Rocks