Mobius Arch - The Arch that frames Mt. Whitney

Mobius Arch - The Arch that frames Mt. Whitney

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.61470°N / 118.095°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Bouldering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy/Moderate walk
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is an easy to moderate walk to a beautiful natural stone arch that frames Mt. Whitney (or Lone Pine Peak, depending on your angle of view). I would just say it's an easy walk, but since it is an unmarked trail and starts by descending somewhat steeply into a wash, I'll rate it as easy/moderate. It's about 1/4 mile to the arch. This is perhaps the best known and easiest to reach of the 12 or so arches of the Alabama Hills. It measures about 17 feet wide by 6 feet high.

Edit 09/12/2011: Went to the arch this weekend, and the trail is now marked and graded so it's quite an easy walk now

Getting There

From the stoplight in Lone Pine drive 2.5 miles west on Whitney Portal Road. Turn right on Movie Flat road and go approximately 2 miles to where the road forks. Take the right fork to a small turn around parking area. Park here then follow the use trail heading down into the wash. Head north out of the wash and walk north along the use trail. You'll go perhaps 1/6 of a mile and all the while keep your eye out for the arch. It is not huge and may be easy to miss! There is a smaller arch just a few feet to the west of it. Also from the parking area looking east you can see a heart shaped arch in the distance.

Essential Gear

Hiking shoes, water, sunscreen, and a camera!

External Links

Weather Forecast for the Owens Valley

Bob's Arches

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.