Monte Gronlait and Monte Fravort

Monte Gronlait and Monte Fravort

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.09310°N / 11.35920°E
Additional Information Elevation: 7818 ft / 2383 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The two summits are the southernmost range of Lagorai that divides Valsugana from Val dei Mocheni.
Mount Gronlait (2383 m.), during the 1st World War was one the most important defensive austrian bulwark and its summit was full of trenches and war huts.
Now, between conifer woods, meadows and bushes the old military roads allow comfortable accesses to the area.




Getting There

by car - autoroute A22 (Brennero-Modena)- exit Trento Centro (km 20) - follow the SS47 (Valsugana) direction Padova-Venezia and follow to Levico
by train
  • Trento station (railway Monaco-Roma) - Pergine Valsugana Station (railway Valsugana, Trento-Venezia). Info: 1678/46047
  • From Pergine Valsugana - Calceranica al Lago - Caldonazzo - Levico Terme - Roncegno Marter
    nearest airports : Verona (Aeroporto Valerio Catullo) - Venezia (Marco Polo Airport) - Milano (Linate Airport) - Bolzano (Bolzano Sud Airport)



    When to Climb

    All year long



    Hiking route

    From Levico follow for Panarotta.
    From the car parking of the Ristorante chalet Panarotta along the path 325 and European Path E5, a road in the wood leads to a wide saddle of meadows and rhododendron bushes : La Bassa (1834m)
    This is the cross point of many paths but you must go on along the 325-E5, along the ridge of Fravort (2347 m.) till the summit (fantastic view on Western Lagorai and Brenta group).
    The ridge now goes down steep to Forcella Fravort (2155m): to the west you can see the wide valley descending toward the Val dei Mocheni.
    Along the grassy ridge toward north up to the Cima Gronlait (Cross on its summit) then along a stone slope to the Passo La Portella (2152m): once it was the main communication way between Valsugana and Val dei Mocheni.
    The steep path 371-E5, along the Val Portella (meadows and streams) leads you down till crossing with path 372, now you must cross the stream getting the right side of the valley and, crossing the wood under Monte Fravort you get back to La Bassa and back to the car parking.


    The nest of mochena culture

    Frassilongo is the first town of the Valle dei Mocheni after taking the left Fersina provincial road. The vast majority of its population is Mòcheno - that is of Germanic origin and - speaks Mocheno, a language coming from ancient German. The town boasts numerous Alpine farmhouses (masi) built on wide, sunny meadows.
    It's a small area with centuries of tradition and care of the land: meadows, plowed land, hedges, pastures, that are the refuge of many species and allow the survival of hundred of plants. That make this a unique landscape in his biodiversity.
    The absence of mass tourism, monoculture, and ski area help to maintain this environment rich in diversity
    "Biodiversity and landscapes heterogeneity togheter, contribute to the information exchange inside the population and to the local perception. So they affect our choices, being able to orient the personal behaviours and the communities one. Therefore diversity is involved into cognitive and cultural processes of the human popolation."
    (Gioia Gibelli - Siep Iale Ass Italiana di Ecologia del Paesaggio)

    Mountain conditions

    meteotrentino

    Accomodation

    Valsugana holiday in Levico Terme

    Trentino Tourist areas and maps



    BORN TO BE WILD

    ©2006 Tiziana Ciaghi





  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    Lagorai GROUPMountains & Rocks