Mount Shasta via Clear Creek Route

Mount Shasta via Clear Creek Route

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 41.40903°N / 122.19386°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 1, 2009
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer

Brief Details

Mount Shasta Clear Creek RouteRoute


Left the trailhead at 3:18 pm on 7-31-2009 and arrived at the spring area at 4:38pm. Continued up the mountain to bivy at approx. 10,000 feet, arrived at 5:33 pm. There was a couple of bivy sites at this location and I passed a bivy site approx. 300-400 lower in elevation.

Mount Shasta Clear Creek Route MapMap


Left the bivy site at 5:00 am and summited at 7:39 am. Passed another bivy site a little higher, but it was smaller and a bit more exposed. Winds were blowing on the summit approx. 15-20 mph. Trail was generally well defined and occasionally soft and loose in a few places but otherwise not to bad for most of the route above the spring area. From the prominent red rock at about 12,870 ft I went more directly up and toward and through the large rocks/boulders. On the descent of the slope above the red rock, I was more to the N-NE which was softer loose material (see map image of route) and this worked well for descending. Left the summit at 7:45 am and arrived back at the trailhead at 10:11 am.

Note: My times on the route were quite fast. Others taking this route will probably find their times to be much slower. I met one group who left the springs area for thier summit attempt around 6:00 am and were just returning to camp around 5:00 pm.



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Ynotstr76

Ynotstr76 - Jun 30, 2013 9:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Nice hike

I climbed this route on 7/15/2013 as a day hike. I spent the night in my car at the trailhead. It took me 7 hrs to get up and 3 1/2 hrs to get back. The route was clear of snow, just scree until the top. I just took a small pack with 2 quarts of water, a sandwich, and a parka. I had hiking poles and mitts. There were people with large packs full of unnecessary gear like crampons etc. which is not necessary on this route at this time of year.

ROSENCLIMBER

ROSENCLIMBER - Aug 23, 2014 6:57 pm - Voted 7/10

Interesting

I'm impressed by your fast times and your bivy skills, Mr. Smith. Loved the "Kings Peak Bivy" picture on your profile. Thanks for the interesting post.
Party On.
Jay Rosenthal
a.k.a. Rosenclimber

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount ShastaTrip Reports
 
Clear CreekTrip Reports