Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 41.40940°N / 122.1939°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 4, 2005
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring
Access from Mount Shasta City, California:
Take Lake Road East.
Lake Road becomes Everitt Memorial Highway.
Take Everitt Memorial Highway to Bunny Flat trailhead (6940').

Mount Shasta:
I hiked up to Avalanche Gulch and climbed it, summiting Misery Hill en route. I never took out my ice axe. The slope never seemed to exceed 40 degrees. I continued hiking to ~100 feet from the summit, dropped my skis due to lack of consistent snow, summited and skied down to the trailhead. From where I started skiing to the top of Avalanche Gulch, the snow was too firm, but never softens up according to a Mount Shasta ranger. Once inside the Gulch, the snow was great. I just had to avoid the glissade tracks. A 35-40 degree slope is maintained for about 3000 vertical feet. The snow never got too heavy even down at the trailhead.

Avalanche Conditions:
Spring conditions; saw old loose avalanches.

Total Elevation: ~7300'
Total Skied Elevation: ~7200'
Mounts Shasta
Map


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Snowball

Snowball - Aug 28, 2005 4:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

Cool! Way to go!

aran

aran - Mar 1, 2013 12:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Cheers

Thanks for sharing.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount ShastaTrip Reports
 
Avalanche GulchTrip Reports