My 2012 Capitol Peak Photos

My 2012 Capitol Peak Photos

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Scenery

Capitol Peak Photos

The plan was to hike/climb Capitol Peak in a single day (June 29, 2012). I would have preferred to start as early as 3 am, but my friends got into their camp late and as a result we didn't start from the trailhead until 7:30 am. I had planned on doing a couple acclimatization hikes in the Wasatch beforehand, but a hectic work schedule that took up both of the preceding weeks (including weekends) leading up to the trip prevented that, which led to my first encounter with altitude sickness on the way up. It hit me hard at the saddle below Mount Daly. We stopped for half an hour at the lake for me to attempt patching up some blisters, and another half hour on the boulder field below K2 to wait out a rainstorm that sideswiped us. It was almost 2:00 pm by the time we got to K2, and I knew I just didn't have it in me to continue on (a couple Advil had helped mask my dizziness and pounding headache earlier on, but it returned on K2). I had been looking forward to trying the knife edge more than any other hike the last several years, so it was disappointing turning around, but looking back on how late it was and my condition at the time, I still feel it was the right choice.

The scenery throughout the hike is awesome. For as long as the approach to Capitol Lake was, I was expecting it to be dull for the first part of the hike, but the views were great the entire way. Right at the trailhead you can see Capitol Peak towering over Capitol Creek, and the ditch trail provides frequent views of the awesome north face as you get closer and closer. We were there at the perfect time, as well, since much of the snow had melted out of the basin south of Mt. Daly, and the bright green foliage and various wildflowers seemed to be at their peak (earlier than usual since it was a very dry winter). The view of Capitol Peak over Capitol Lake was simply amazing, and the view from the top of K2 looking out over Pierre Lakes Basin and the other 14ers to the south, along with the imposing northeast ridge of Capitol Peak, is one of the most rugged scenes you'll find in the Rockies.

All in all, it was one of my favorite hikes (if I'd had the energy to continue to the summit, it might have been my all-time favorite), and I can't wait to get back and try it again.

I put together a slideshow of my pictures here.
 
Capitol lake Panorama
View from Capitol Lake
 
K2 Panorama
View from K2


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Jul 20, 2012 5:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Couldn't agree...

...with you more. It is a beautiful hike into Capitol Lake! Sorry you had to turn back being so close. Hopefully you'll get another chance soon.

Happy Trails,
Mark

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Jul 26, 2012 12:23 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Couldn't agree...

Thanks, Mark. I can easily see why many people who bag all the 14ers say Capitol is their favorite. The entire hike is very scenic.

David Mortensen

David Mortensen - Jul 22, 2012 5:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Awesome!

Wow! This looks like an amazing area. Really pretty. I would love to go if you decide to do it again.

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Jul 26, 2012 12:24 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome!

Yeah, maybe next summer things will work out better.

Noondueler

Noondueler - Jul 25, 2012 1:00 am - Voted 10/10

Nice album!

Thanks for posting.

Rocky Alps

Rocky Alps - Jul 26, 2012 12:25 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice album!

Thanks!

Viewing: 1-6 of 6


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.