Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.05697°N / 114.95254°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information County: Custard
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 9847 ft / 3001 m
Sign the Climber's Log

 

Old Decker Backside

Overview

Old Decker is situated about 2 mile of a connecting ridge line from Grand Mogul. Also, 1 mile from its neighbor Little Decker. It jagged ridge from Little Decker offers a great scramble anywhere between a class 3-4 ranged hike. Old Decker is not visited frequently. It neighbors Grand Mogul and Decker receive many more visitors. Honestly, not many people actually know of Old Decker. Makes for a very secluded hike and summit. Safe to say you may be the only one to summit for the year if completed.  

Old Decker is a great scramble offering class 4 slabs nearing the summit. The approach is a class 3 that enters into a class 4. Some Class 3 routes can be found with good route finding skills but once you get to the summit its mostly class 4 with basic climbing opportunities.

This summit sits in very prestigious location. Offering incredible views of its neighboring giant Decker, as well as Little Decker, Grand Mogul, the Elephants Perch, and Saddleback Lakes. Many other peaks can be seen in the distance. For a shorter mountain, this one is not one to skip. It is one for the books.

The approach to Old Decker consists of large boulder hopping, loose scrambled rock, and large slabs nearing the summit

Getting There

Two routes from what I have seen and accomplished are as follows:

Road Approach From Stanley, Idaho take ID-75 south for 5 miles and turn west (right) onto the Redfish Lake Road. Take this road 2 miles to the backpacker parking lot, or 2.5 miles to the Redfish lake Lodge for day hikers. 

Take the Redfish Shuttle Boat (seasonal) across the lake to save about 5 miles, or hike around the lake (either side). The fee for the shuttle may seem large at first but it will save you about 11 miles round trip. So its about a 1.50 a mile. Well worth the cost.

Route

Saddleback Lakes Approach:

Hike from the Redfish Lake Inlet Transfer Camp up to Saddleback Lake. You will have to hike to the back of the lakes and begin the approach. The peak sits in the back of the valley (southeast area). The first part of the approach is a class 3 boulder climb. Nearing the summit, becomes class 4 slabs. The peak is not the largest so it does not take time to ascend. (Round Trip Approx. 12 miles)

North Ridge Approach:

From the Redfish Lake Inlet Transfer Camp, follow the Alpine Way Trail south as it switchbacks up to the east of the Grand Mogul. Leave the trail and head up the ridge that takes you to Little Decker. If you are taking this approach you might as well summit Little Decker. The ridge from Little Decker will take you straight over to Old Decker. It sits just south from Little Decker. I went to the right of the ridge and descended it about half way to avoid a lot of technical ridge routes. (Round Trip Approx. 10 miles)

Red Tape

No restrictions. Free wilderness permits required at wilderness destinations

When to Climb

Preferred climbing anytime between June-October would be ideal. Snow conditions could make things very dangerous for this summit.

Camping

Saddleback lakes is a frequented backpacking area. Very popular and beautiful lake

External Links

Add External Links text here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sawtooth RangeMountains & Rocks