Montafon GTX

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Montafon GTX
Manufacturer Lowa
Page By josephgdawson
Page Type May 31, 2004 / May 31, 2004
Object ID 1085
Hits 4750
Vote
GORE-TEX® lined all-weather mountaineering boot. Ultra-comfortable high ankle shaft designed for the toughest weather and terrain. Step-in crampon compatible.

3.0mm water repellent split leather upper w/no side seams

GORE-TEX® lining for waterproofness and comfort
One piece bellows tongue for watertight protection

8.5" tall shaft

High rubber rand for protection and durability

Climate-control footbed

Lightweight alloy lace loops with sprung lace hooks

Glove leather lining on collar

Step-in and strap-on crampon compatible

Plastic midsole stiffener

Rigid Vibram® 'Vertige' Sole

Reviews


Viewing: 1-1 of 1

josephgdawson - May 31, 2004 3:31 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I have done a couple of trips in these boots and they have been great. They have not given me any blisters and I have been in them one dry ground, steep slopes, crampons, and snow shows.

I have a pair of semi-rigid step in crampons (no straps) and the lips on the boots held the crampons on well - they never popped off. The boots are not insulated, so I would not recommend them for really cold weather.

I have one other gripe. The boots are very hard to get hold of. I have to special order mine through summithut. All of the boots they made this year were allocated to special orders, I dont think any ever hit the retail market.

The piece of rubber tread on the front of the boot is nice and soft and grippy, and sticks very well on little pieces of rock when I climb in them. That along with the stiff sole makes it easy to keep the toe perpendicular to the wall to prevent losing surface area with the wall.

The ankle is fairly flexible while the sole of the boot is nice and stiff. They have a really deep heel cup that minimizes heel slip. My only gripe is that the heel is lined with some gortex fabric rather than glove leather.

I sealed the leather on my pair with nickwax and the leather did wet out after snowshoeing for a couple of hours in weather right around 32 degrees, but the gortex must have kept the water out because my feet never got wet. I love this boot.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1