Trango Extreme

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Trango Extreme
Manufacturer La Sportiva
Page By HeMa
Page Type Jul 29, 2002 / Jul 29, 2002
Object ID 422
Hits 5331
Vote
Take the Trango Plus and the Nepal Extreme, throw them into a room full of genetic engineers and presto - Trango Extreme. This revolutionary design has spawned countless imitations and has single handedly defined a category. Super technical, warm and toasty, the Trango Extreme is equally adept on modern mixed desperates and on super alpine routes where "light and fast" is the difference between sweet success and the consequences of failure. The TE is fully step-in crampon compatible and will accept virtually all automatic crampons available. Unequaled ankle flexibility allows unimaginable French technique on alpine ice and a quantum leap in gymnastic footwork like knee-drops and high steps required when pushing the M grades on modern mixed routes.

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-9 of 9

tbnelson - Sep 23, 2002 8:47 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Though my pair is quite new, I love them. They are comfortable with great flexibility and have a small profile. I used them on an eight mile approach with decent comfort, the edge well on technical rock and are good for kicking steps. They are also a good pound to pound and a half lighter than my previous leather boots and my Lowa Civettas.

HeMa - Jan 23, 2003 3:18 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Been single-pitch ice cragging in these for about 2 months now. Even though I'm a complete novice in ice-climbing I had no probs with calf-fatique in these boots when climbing WI 4 or 5 for 20m).



They also worked very well in cold conditons as I have used them even when it was as cold as -20F, had some shivers but no frostbites although the trip lasted 2 nights (at the warmest time of day it was about -10F).



What I really liked was the ankle flex on some short mixed sections and the fact that these boots are quite light (atleast compared to Vegas or plastic telemark-boots). But when walking on a frosen lake surface my feet started to ache a bit, mostly because the soles didn't flex at all.

Distel32 - Nov 19, 2002 10:12 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
For the love of all that is good in the world of climbing, never stop making boots like these. They are quite comfortable on long approaches, much beter than plastic boots. The edging platform is awesome, but I have to worn you, they leave black marks on the walls of your house, so don't try it. Haven't had any problems with the waterproofness of them, and the full rubber rand is a huge plus! They never got chopped up in scree so you don't need to worry about scratching them. Also work pretty well for some mixed climbing. The insulation is nice, but you're feet do get a bit toasty. Step in crampons are best for these. Highly recommend these awesome boots.

NYC007 - Feb 23, 2003 3:59 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Very comfortable, one problem was my instep bothered my a tad on the approach to the climbs but went away shortly. While ice climbing my feet stayed very dry, only once early in the morning my toes got cold but they were hang over a ledge as I belayed up the second.. Overall if you want something less bulky then the Nepal and lighter these will do great.

Alpinist - May 17, 2004 11:48 pm - Voted 4/5

Great boots
These are very comfortable boots with great support. I've worn them on several mountaineering trips over the past 1.5 years. They have very good traction in snow and on rock. They are well made, very durable and fit well. My only complaints are;

1) They aren't waterproof. (No GoreTex.)
2) They don't breathe well.
3) The trade off for being lightweight is that they aren't the warmest boot in the world. (They have minimal insulation and are not intended for use in extremely cold temperatures.)

My feet were cold and wet on a couple of trips. For me, I'll try to avoid wearing the Trango Supremes when the temps drop below 20 degrees (F). For warmer temperatures when climbing on a combination of snow, ice and rock, they are a great boot.

brenta - Feb 28, 2005 4:20 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
These boots are very comfortable--at least for someone with narrow feet. I've used them on long hikes (over 16 miles) without problems. The sole is very stiff; hence, one does not have a very natural gait when wearing them, but the support is quite good and the boots are very light.

These are not the warmer boots you will find, but I haven't had problems with impermeability or breathability even after spending a day with my feet in the snow. Usually my toes will feel cold when I put the Trangos on, but then will warm up when I start moving and stay warm. So far I've used my Trangos some thirty times. For very cold weather one may want to resort to gaiters that cover the entire boot.

The Tangos Extreme climb well on rock, at least up to 5.6; I'm less impressed by their traction on snow. I've used them a few times with crampons, on terrain ranging from moderate snow to nearly vertical alpine ice and low class 5 rock, and I had no problems. One of the reasons I chose these boots was their versatility. So far they have not disappointed.

alpinedan - Nov 15, 2005 11:28 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
great boot that could cross the gab of a Trango S and a nepal. when mine needed to be replace I got the trango S boots that were better for me use wise. these are one of the best boots made. so typical la sportiva to discontinued them for synthetic ones that would not last as long

awagher - Jan 23, 2006 1:38 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Light and fast. Super ankle flex. Typical La Sportiva narrow heel. Tough and sticky rands and soles. I tested them on a 21+ mile hike through conditions ranging from low angle sand/gravel to knee deep snow and large boulders. They worked well leaving (typical for me) a quarter sized blister that I usually get from all boots. Fit in my Grivel Rambo crampons like a glove. I will try them on ice soon and report back.

Andy - Jan 25, 2007 8:31 pm - Voted 5/5

So far so good.
I've had these for a couple of months now and they have worked well for hiking/scrambling, snowshoeing, and short bouts of vertical waterfall ice (WI3-4). They're comfortable, warm, and climb nicely.

Viewing: 1-9 of 9