Nepal Evo

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Nepal Evo
Manufacturer La Sportiva
Page By ben jammin
Page Type Aug 21, 2005 / Aug 21, 2005
Object ID 1397
Hits 24366
Vote
From the La Sportiva webpage:



  • Evolution of the model Nepal Extreme, ideal for technical use on high elevation terrain and ice.

  • The usage of the insulating Gore-Tex®/Duratherm® lining makes it completely waterproof and breathable.

  • The upper features the "3D Flex system" hinge, innovative system of multidirectional ankle hinge, combined with an elastic anatomical snow protection in the back, with a small integrated elastic gaiter. New snug fitting and comfortable last.

  • The insulating Ibi-Thermo footbed gives the boot exceptional insulation from the cold. New tapered HP3 midsole and shock absorbing PU inserts in the area under the heel and the ball of the foot.

  • New exclusive sole with the innovative technology IBS (Impact Brake System), developed in collaboration with Vibram®, designed to soften impact on hard ground.

  • Removable insulating footbed.

  • New removable tongue with incorporated ventilation system, gives the option of adjusting the fit, personalized for any foot. The EZ OUT pull loop (Patent Pending) facilitates the unlocking of the lace lock.

    Images

  • Reviews


    Viewing: 1-9 of 9

    ben jammin - Aug 21, 2005 3:38 pm - Voted 5/5

    Untitled Review
    As indicated by the name the Nepal Evo is an evolution of the ever popular Nepal Extreme. The most significant changes are as follows:



  • Redesigned ankle hinge combined with a snow protection "gaiter".

  • Redesigned gussetted and adjustable tongue. The adjustment is made by means of a second removeable tongue that can be velcro'ed into various positions.

  • Addition of a waterproof Goretex lining.

  • New sole shape.

  • Slight reduction in weight: 2300g to 2080g (pair)



    Having worn both the original Nepal Extreme and the Evo, I can say that the Evo is a definite improvement over an already excellent boot. The new tongue feels much more comfortable and plush, and the separate removable tongue gives more options for fitting to different shaped feet. The "snow protection" feature consisting of an elasticated mini-gaiter works surprisingly well to seal the top of the boot off against the calf and prevent any snow from sneaking in.



    Personally, the Evos fitted me great out of the box and I've never had any blisters with them. I have low volume and reasonably wide feet and I don't use the Evo's removeable tongue option.



    The only negative point I've found with these boots is that the standard insole is quite thin and very firm, which leads to tired feet after a long day out. Maybe La Sportiva expects that most serious mountaineers would replace this with a custom insole in any case?



    Otherwise, all the great points mentioned by previous reviewers of the Nepal Extreme still hold. It's a great boot!



  • jomisp - Feb 25, 2007 9:47 pm - Voted 5/5

    Re: Untitled Review
    These are excellent boots. The design of these boots is top notch with the locking laces and internal gaiter which really works. They hike, climb ice and do mixed really well. I've owned several boots including; Scarpa Inverno's, La-Sportiva K4's, Scarpa Freney XT's and without a doubt the Nepal Evo's are my first choice both for comfort and performance. Two things to keep in mind; (1) Make sure the boots fit you, there are number of people that have tried this boot and remarked about blisters. You may have to go up or down 1/2 size. (2) Be sure to treat the boots with Nikwax Waterproofing wax before going out.

    Nikman - May 10, 2007 12:18 pm - Voted 5/5

    Not a cheap investment ...
    ... but it´s worth each Euro (even though you need more than 400 of them).

    The best boots I ever had for all kind of usage.

    100% waterproof even when crossing rivers.
    100% warm.
    100% stability in gravelzones or running down morraines.
    100% breathable, no wet socks from sweating.
    100% wearing comfort even on long distances, almost like a trekking boot.

    If you think about buying one, don´t wait a second, just do it!

    climbxclimb - Aug 5, 2007 12:29 pm - Voted 5/5

    History will show how good they are...
    For me the best climbing boot ever made.....
    Perfect for walking long distances, yet rigid enough to climb vertical ice.
    Very warm and very well waterproofed.
    On rock they edge perfectly, and on ice they allow you to feel your feet movement very well.

    irish guy - Apr 24, 2008 1:53 pm - Voted 5/5

    Excellent boot
    Expensive, but you get what you're paying for. And with these boots, you get a lot. I agree with everyone else how warm, waterproof and rigid, yet comfortable these boots are.

    One of my favorite features is the removable tongue inserts - you can really customize the fit. With the insert in, you can wear a lighter weight sock on the approach. When you leave camp for the summit push, take out the insert and throw on the heavy duty socks.

    The supplied insole is minimal. I'd recommend purchasing a separate insole for these. Green Superfeet insoles fit these perfectly. Definitely try these on along with whatever insole you'd use before buying; once you find your size, you won't be disappointed.

    WML - Apr 25, 2010 2:11 am - Voted 5/5

    AWESOME!!!!
    Best. Boot. Ever. Very warm, but not too warm, perfect if you live or play in/on the Eastern Sierra. Have used them on alpine rock and ice routes in all seasons, outstanding. No need for any other boot for this area. While they are a bit pricey, well, you get what you pay for. I can see these lasting me for quite a few years of heavy use.

    Incredibly comfortable as well, and after the break-in hike, they have yet to give me any issues.

    SJ - May 10, 2010 11:35 pm - Voted 5/5

    Perfect
    Second all of the comments above. At first I was skeptical that a rigid sole boot like this could be used as an approach boot in addition to the vertical stuff, but after using them I have have no doubt now. They are more all around go to boot for the Eastern Sierra, got rid of my LS Glacier Evo's and just go with the Nepals now.

    Put the Green Superfeet in and am loving the improved comfort. My feet run hot so I have some issues with sweat in the boots, but this problem happens with all boots for me, but these babies still vent extremely well.

    5 stars.

    Brian C - Dec 12, 2010 9:01 pm - Voted 5/5

    Close to perfect
    I love these boots and they excel on a ton of terrain but they do not keep my feet warm enough where the temps really drop here in Colorado winters (less than 0F).

    Kristin5berry - Apr 4, 2011 10:08 am - Hasn't voted

    Love these
    They keep my tenuous toes warm through all of my many Alpine climbs. I even did a Feb 2011 Cactus to Clouds (San Jacinto peak from Palm Springs) climb in these boots, which was 30 miles and over 10k feet elevation gain with NO BLISTERS:)

    Viewing: 1-9 of 9