Nut Shell

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Nut Shell
Manufacturer Mountain Hardwear
Page By jt_walsh
Page Type Mar 4, 2002 / Mar 4, 2002
Object ID 152
Hits 3019
Vote
If you venture into cold, dry and windy conditions (but generally don't get soaking wet), Nut Shells are a great value. Soft, lightweight, breathable and compressible, they're made of nylon with strategically placed waterproof patches on hood, shoulders, sleeves, lumbar and seat. Features roll-away hood, articulated sleeves, extra-long pit zips and one-hand adjustable hem and hood drawcords. Two chest pockets, two hand pockets, water bottle pocket inside.

Reviews


Viewing: 1-2 of 2

jt_walsh - Mar 4, 2002 4:13 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Very versatile jacket. I’ve used for running, hiking, and climbing. They aren’t kidding about the cold and dry only description. It doesn’t do well in wet conditions. Great as an outer layer for most activities.

STW - Jan 8, 2004 3:51 pm - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
Does the job pretty well. I agree with the other review in pointing out that it is not very useful in wet conditions. It's not designed for that though, so, keep it in mind.



My gripes: the storm flap is a joke: on really cold windy days, the storm flap blows aside and the cold air comes right through the zipper area. It's not held fast with any velcro or anything. Hood design was not very impressive; and, rolling it down into a collar was not comfortable.



You can call it a good value vs. waterproof breathable jackets for those situations when you know it isn't going to rain. It is a good windbreaker (aside from the storm flap issue) with good breathability for when you're working hard and sweating.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2