Palo Verde

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.36690°N / 121.1466°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.6 (YDS)
Additional Information Difficulty: A2+
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 3
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

One of the best nailing routes left at smith. First ascended in January of 1981 by Jim Anglin and Mike Hartley. A few retro bolts have lowerd the rating a bit eliminating the original crux. Originaly done as 2 long pitches up the head wall, there are now 2 added belays. Still requires solid skill in piton craft.

Getting There

When coming from astrix pass and heading toward the Mesa Verde Wall hike up passed In Harms Way/Out of Harms Way to the base of the 4th class ledges below the steep wall. Begin a little right of the crack system. This route is the obvious crack system spltting the steep clean part of the wall.

Route Description

P1 - 4th class - Traverse up the ledges to a nice 2 bolt belay.

P2 - 5.6 A2+ - Free climb up from the anchor untill resorting to aid in the crack system, clean aid untill you need to nail. The first belay is a retro bolt, clip this and continue on into the akward open book. Belay below the roof at the end of the open book. 3 bolt belay.

P3 - A2+ - Pass the roof on a fixed KB then head up the headwall crack. Pass some hangerless bolts and a belay. Easy free through a killer top out leads to a juniper tree belay. Only 1 bolt on this pitch is original.

Essential Gear

Cams to 1.5 x 2 (offsets useful)
Nuts x 2 (offsets useful)
2 beaks
1 KB
4 LAs (short thick)
6 angles 2 ea #1-3
6 sawed angles asst.
rivet hangers and tie offs

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

mikeehartley - Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Original route

No bolts were used on the 1st ascent.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.