Single Pitch Routes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.36690°N / 121.1466°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.7-5.12a
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Screaming Yellow ZonkersSYZ
Screaming Yellow ZonkersSYZ
SundownSundown

This will serve as a collective beta page for all single pitch lines on the (pretty) Mesa Verde Wall at Smith Rock. I'd like to try and have single pitch routes on the formation added here. We'll see how that works out. If there's a route you've done and care to share beta about it, please post a note here. I'll add it in and give you credit.

Routes are described from left to right (north to south) when facing the formation.

Massive Luxury Overdose, 5.10c

Massive Luxury Overdose
Massive Luxury Overdose

5.10c, 100 feet (exactly!). You'll need a 60 meter rope to lower off of this one (even then it's a rope stretcher - tie in!). This is the bolted line follows the pretty clean face immediately left of Trezlar - going starts at 5.6 then progresses quickly through the grades till the final 2 bolts where things steepen and knobs get smaller. Follow your instinct on what to do! Very nice line. Photo. Gear: quickdraws.

Cosmos, 5.10a

Cosmos
Cosmos

5.10a, 80 feet. A fun sport climb (Smith nubbin pulling affair) on a face immediately right of the standard first pitch of Trezlar on the northwest face of The Wall. This photo shows the lower portion of the route in profile. Crux comes just before the bolted anchor at the top. Can be used to access the 2nd pitch of Trezlar. Gear: quickdraws.

Screaming Yellow Zonkers, 5.10b

Screaming Yellow Zonkers
Screaming Yellow Zonkers

5.10b, 100 feet. You'll need a 60 meter rope to lower off of this one (even then it's a rope stretcher). This is the bolted line (another Smith nubbin pulling outing) right of Cosmos on the northwest face of The Wall. Start is shared with Moons Of Pluto 5.10d (which then climbs the bolted arete on the right). Well bolted all the way (anchor no longer shared with MoP). This photo shows the upper half. Gear: quickdraws.

Sundown, 5.9

Sundown
Sundown

5.9, 80 feet. This is a nice trad line near the indistinct prow separating northwest and southwest faces of The Wall. Starts with a bouldery balancing move (crux) and follows a shallow dihedral to a bolted anchor. This photo shows the start. Gear: small to medium nuts and cams up to #3 Camalot.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.