Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.92985°N / 114.91083°W
Additional Information County: Blaine
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10027 ft / 3056 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Peak 10027 is located near Alturas Lake in the Cabin Creek drainage and shares a ridge with nearby McDonald Peak. While not as popular as many of the other Sawtooth peaks, Peak 10027 offers relatively easy access and spectacular views from the summit.

Peak 10027 (pan)
A panorama of the Cabin Creek drainage and Peak 10027 May 12, 2012 Photo by Splattski

Getting There

Peak 10027 is accessable from the Alturas Lake road 37 miles north of Ketchum, Idaho or 21 miles south of Stanley, Idaho on Highway 75. Take the Alturas Lake road for approximately 3 miles, turn right on National Forest Road 207, drive another mile and turn left to get to the Cabin Creek traihead. Do not take the first left (it leads to private property and a dead-end).


Follow the Cabin Creek trail to where it ends (3 miles) near the middle Cabin Lake and from there you can choose from several routes depending upon the season. On our spring ascent we climbed to the saddle between Peak 10027 and McDonald Peak and then followed the ridge to the summit. Class 2 with some moderate bushwhacking depending upon the route you choose.

Red Tape

Very little but as with all travel within the Sawtooth National Recreation Area a self issued permit is required for each party. These are available at all of the major trailheads when you enter the SNRA boundary.

Camping - Webcam - Reference

There are numerous campgrounds in the Stanley Basin area ranging from improved to unimproved but most of the improved sites are very popular and require reservations during the summer season. However, there are numerous unimproved sites in the area with no services and are free for use if you are are prepared for self-sufficient camping. If camping isn't your thing there are a few motels in the Stanley area and 4 and 5 star accommodations in Ketchum and Sun Valley.






Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sawtooth RangeMountains & Rocks