Backpack Question...

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
absinthe52

Backpack Question...

by absinthe52 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:23 am

I know..I know, there are many threads already. Can't seem to figure out the new system. My Osprey just crapped out. Looking for the best brand/type of bavkpack for Rainier/Aconcagua/Kili/Kenya/Denali etc. Most versatile, light weight, and everything else. Is the Cherenoble worth it? Thanks for the suggestions
Matt

absinthe52

Re: Backpack Question...

by absinthe52 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:51 am

Thank you for the reply and suggestions. I will check ou those packs for sure. In particular, I can get a good deal on Deuter, BD, Mammut, MH, Do these run with names you mentioned? What about the cherenoble? Thanks for the help again...

kayakerSS

by kayakerSS » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:59 am

Um, CiloGear all the way. You really owe yourself at look at what they have to offer.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:35 am

If you mean the Cold Cold World Chernobyl pack, it is only 50 litres in a regular, so not big enough for carrying your own gear on Denali and Aconcagua (unless you go super light in which case you would probably not be here asking).

As above, fit is important, so you really need to check them out in the flesh. Mammut and Deuter are good in smaller packs, not so much for big packs. BD and MH have some good packs, so if you can get them at a good price you should check them out. Gregory also make good packs in the US. Osprey are also good, though tend to look a bit 'strappy'. A Cilogear may be lighter and fit you better than any of the above.

As a rough guide I would say you want 75 litre (4600 cubic inches) capacity max. Some packs like the Cilogears and WildThings can cinch down very well to carry a smaller load well. In other big packs you will have lots of excess space on summit day, carrying a relatively heavy pack. The Cilogear Worksack 60 would be particularly good in this way and is good value in its regular form.

Note also that real-life volumes vary greatly across brands. Some 60l packs will be more like 70l, or may expand to such. Some with 100 l on the tag may only be 85.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:22 pm

Absinthe52,

The mountains you mentioned really require two different packs; For Rainier/Kili/Kenya a pack in the 50 liter range would be ideal while for Denali/Aconcogua would require something in the 80+ liter range. I know Colin Haley has climbed Alaskan Grade VIs with a day pack, but most folks will want a bigger pack for Denali/Aconcogua. Wild Things, Cold Cold World, Black Diamond, Montbell, Lowe Alpine all make fine packs in these size ranges.

4corners

by 4corners » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:42 pm

The CCW Chaos is about 65 liters, if that helps, larger than the Chernobyl. I'm personally devoted to CCW and Gregory, but that is because they fit me and last forever. And there's nobody better to deal with than Randy at CCW.

WouterB

by WouterB » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:32 am

I have a Gregory Palisade and I love it. Best fitting backpack ever and I've tried almost everything that is available here in Europe. I suggest loading some weight in a couple of packs and fitting them. I'm sure this one won't let you down. I've used it on multiple trips in the alps, Kaukasus, Atlas and a trip to Kenya and Tanzania (Kilimanjaro/Meru). I'm also planning to take it on both Denali and Aconcagua. Weight and design are good as well. I've had it for a couple of years now and there's no faults with it yet.

phlipdascrip

by phlipdascrip » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:17 am

(Unrelated... why would anyone call their product "Chernobyl"? And a backpack too!? Desperate for attention?)

no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:45 pm

Matt, Lots of great options are mentioned here BUT ultimately, the best choice for you is obviously the one that fits you best while meeting your needs/wants. So, I wold not choose a pack without first trying it on with similar clothes that I would be wearing and similar weight in it.

I personally really like the way Osprey's hug but back and their Large size fits me perfectly. But others find that they need more padding so as usual YMMV.

I am gonna add another pack manufacturer to the mix: http://www.figurefourpacks.com/omega_pack.shtml

and another much larger option:

http://www.whittakermountaineering.com/ ... 5-backpack

radson

by radson » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:57 pm

Probably an example of what not to do. I chose a new backpack, completely on specs and still have yet to try it on. My ramblings here:
http://hobyjackson.info/mountaineering/expedition-backpacks-75-litres

radson

by radson » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:10 pm

Buying a new backpack has been quite the ordeal. My proposed BD mission 75 ordered from REI, 4 weeks ago , will not be delivered in time for my Denali trip. I emailed Graham from Cilogear yesterday and he has promised to send one of his new 75l worksacks to Anchorage in time for my departure on the 5th May.
http://www.cilogear.com/7511.html

JCarlson

by JCarlson » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:19 pm

absinthe52 wrote:...My Osprey just crapped out...

You know Osprey has a 100% guarantee, right? You can light the pack on fire for all they care, and they'll replace/fix it if you send it back to them.

absinthe52

by absinthe52 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:45 pm

no shit, thanks! I'll take them up on that offer...and buy a new pack 8)

no avatar
DanTheMan

by DanTheMan » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:12 am

I dropped my Osprey pack about 200 ft, mangled the frame. They sent me a new one.

peninsula

by peninsula » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:22 pm

DanTheMan wrote:I dropped my Osprey pack about 200 ft, mangled the frame. They sent me a new one.

Cool! How old was it?

Next

Return to Gear