Do u climb/hike alone?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
philso

Re: Do u climb/hike alone?

by philso » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:00 am

all the time, either through choice or force of circumstances. personality-wise, i'm more of a loner than a group oriented person, but as a long-term expat in japan, findng a partner has always been problematic. most expats are usually around for 1 or 2 years and then leave. i've introduced a number of people to alpine and rock climbing over the years, but long-term climbing partners have never panned out. japanese people i meet are mainly interested in me in order to practice their english. teaching is the last thing i want to do when i'm not teaching.

summers, i like to do extended hikes of 7 - 10 days alone, and that's fine. i also do alpine climbs every spring, but due to the consequences of a fall on ice or pro popping while solo, i'm always staying well within my comfort zone. so although i've got about 30 years of experience, which certainly sounds like i'd be a pro more or less, my actual skills are proably not much better than someone with only 5 years or so under their belt.

on rock, the situation is even worse. even when i was an avid climber in my mid-20's, i was never a top climber with the skill to free solo. top-roping alone proved less and less interesting and after a close call on a self-belayed trad climb i'm now using the dreaded words "used to be" when refering myself as a rock climber.

well, i've recently met another long-term expat and we'll be going on his first alpine climb in a few weeks. and i've recently joined this and another climbing forum to hang my sign out in the international sections, so i'm hopingthat my dearth of climbing partners situation will turn around.

and no matter what, i'll continue to enjoy my long solo hikes.

Previous

Return to General