Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Lost climbers on Shasta updates

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
 

Postby Deltaoperator17 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:01 am

To all of those concerned, my prayers for your comfort during this very difficult time. To Mark, just from the tid bits we got you put it all on the line.

To Michael J. White, M.D. from Portland Oregon, (AKA Jakesnake)- Why dont you just keep your piehole closed until we hear the other side of the story. Way to put your name on your SP profile. tool!

I mean Mark asked to do that so we should honor it!
User Avatar
Deltaoperator17

 
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:23 am
Location: Middleton, Idaho, United States
Thanked: 19 times in 14 posts

Postby MoapaPk » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:30 am

Elves, can you lock this thread to keep misunderstandings from being posted? Maybe give Mark a separate locked thread to give details, if and when he wants. I know that all have good intentions, but I think many folks are just responding to the first page, and not seeing the comments on page 4.
User Avatar
MoapaPk

 
Posts: 7603
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 7:42 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Thanked: 738 times in 476 posts

Postby Aaron Johnson » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:33 am

To those concerned:

Now that I am aware of this thread (thanks to members who PMed the elves), I am watching this thread closely.

MoapaPk: Out of concern for SP members who want to express their feelings and well wishings, I'm not going to lock the thread. It would be wrong to not permit them to express their feelings, etc., but I'm riding herd on this thread and inappropriate posts will be zapped without explanation. Thanks for your concern. It's appreciated!

So, to anyone posting, if you think your post is over the top, then it is. Do not post it.

This is a tragedy for sure. Folks need to be very sensitive and empathetic in these difficult situations. If folks can't accomplish this, they should not post, out of respect for those involved.

Best thoughts and prayers are extended to Mark, Tom and their families on behalf of the SP staff.
User Avatar
Aaron Johnson

 
Posts: 3646
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2002 8:49 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 50 times in 17 posts

Postby Steve Larson » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:22 am

Aaron Johnson wrote:Now that I am aware of this thread (thanks to members who PMed the elves), I am watching this thread closely.


Thanks Aaron
User Avatar
Steve Larson

 
Posts: 2451
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:12 am
Location: Glendale, California, United States
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Postby dskoon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:32 am

Steve Larson wrote:
Aaron Johnson wrote:Now that I am aware of this thread (thanks to members who PMed the elves), I am watching this thread closely.


Thanks Aaron


Yep, good post, Aaron.

My thoughts go out to those two guys and their families.
User Avatar
dskoon

 
Posts: 3116
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:06 am
Location: portland, Oregon
Thanked: 136 times in 104 posts

Postby Bob Burd » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:49 am

Aaron Johnson wrote:To those concerned:

Now that I am aware of this thread (thanks to members who PMed the elves), I am watching this thread closely.


Thanks Aaron, I'd been watching it as well, but in a few hours while I'm out it got a bit out hand. I'll likely delete new members and their posts unless they have positive contribution to it. If you have any issues with anything about how it's being managed, please continue with the PMs (very helpful to alert us) or use Site Feedback.

Aaron Johnson wrote:Best thoughts and prayers are extended to Mark, Tom and their families on behalf of the SP staff.


My sentiments exactly. God bless.
User Avatar
Bob Burd
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 4098
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2001 10:42 pm
Location: San Jose, California, United States
Thanked: 458 times in 237 posts

Postby Sarah Simon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:40 am

Aaron Johnson wrote:This is a tragedy for sure. Folks need to be very sensitive and empathetic in these difficult situations. If folks can't accomplish this, they should not post, out of respect for those involved.


Also, folks, be aware that Bay Area news outlets are reading this forum and reporting it in the news to the public. We should, as a community, be on our best behavior.

Thomas did not reply to an interview request Tuesday. But in an entry on a Web site for outdoors enthusiasts, summitpost.org, he said he disputed "some of the important details in the news reports (regarding permits, weather advisories and closures at the time of our departure) and will be responding to those as soon as appropriate."

In his profile, Thomas identifies himself as an advanced climber who has reached the summit of Mount Shasta three times, most recently in February.


Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z0jiYrAMes

All the best to the families, friends and loved ones of both gentlemen involved.
User Avatar
Sarah Simon

 
Posts: 935
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:01 am
Location: Black Forest, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 238 times in 107 posts

Postby dswink » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:07 am

My thoughts and prayers are for Tom's safe return.

I was really happy to read that Mark has made it back. Be well.
User Avatar
dswink

 
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:24 am
Location: Austin, Texas, United States
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby Zzyzx » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:08 am

sarah.simon wrote:
Aaron Johnson wrote:This is a tragedy for sure. Folks need to be very sensitive and empathetic in these difficult situations. If folks can't accomplish this, they should not post, out of respect for those involved.


Also, folks, be aware that Bay Area news outlets are reading this forum and reporting it in the news to the public. We should, as a community, be on our best behavior.

Thomas did not reply to an interview request Tuesday. But in an entry on a Web site for outdoors enthusiasts, summitpost.org, he said he disputed "some of the important details in the news reports (regarding permits, weather advisories and closures at the time of our departure) and will be responding to those as soon as appropriate."

In his profile, Thomas identifies himself as an advanced climber who has reached the summit of Mount Shasta three times, most recently in February.


Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z0jiYrAMes

All the best to the families, friends and loved ones of both gentlemen involved.


They got it right in the last paragraph:

Allen said the two climbers had to walk or snowshoe at least 5 miles to reach the trailhead with 40-pound backpacks.

"You have to be very ambitious to climb the mountain from that side this time of the year," Allen said. "These guys knew what they were doing; they weren't just off the streets."


Mark, whatever really happened I have no doubt that you did everything possible under the circumstances to help Tom. We're all happy you made it back and we keep Tom and his family and friends in our thoughts and prayers,

-Kris
Zzyzx

 
Posts: 1589
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:20 pm
Location: California, United States
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby JasonH » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:11 am

Zzyzx wrote:Mark, whatever really happened I have no doubt that you did everything possible under the circumstances to help Tom.


That's exactly what I wanted to say, but I was having a hard time coming up with the words. I'm glad you made it down safe, Mark. I hoping for the best.
User Avatar
JasonH

 
Posts: 6969
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:24 am
Location: Sacramento, California, United States
Thanked: 427 times in 295 posts

Postby cleopatra » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:05 am

The SFGate article has the best-informed writing so far -
User Avatar
cleopatra

 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:17 pm
Location: Berkeley, California, United States
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

PreviousNext

Return to California

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.