It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:58 pm

News News of Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Site map of Mountain Medicine & Rescue » Forum : Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.

Losing fingers or toes to frostbite...

I was browsing some Alpinist content on their site and saw this photo;

http://www.alpinist.com/doc/ALP27

Which in turn lead me to wonder;

What is the recovery process when you find yourself in the unfortunate position of losing fingers or toes to frost bite?

How does it affect your climbing, might one have balance issues or require extensive physical therapy?

edit: typos
Read more : Losing fingers or toes to frostbite... | Views : 18859 | Replies : 6

Knee Hurt? Climb or Not?

Hi.
I thought it would be fun to learn to how to descend mountains by skies. So 2 weeks ago I went to ski for the first time and I lost my left knee at resort. There is a tear in my ACL and grade 1 injury of MCL.

Then I found my teacher made 2 mistakes:
1- As It seemed that I work well he decided for me to practice in the main ...
Read more : Knee Hurt? Climb or Not? | Views : 5062 | Replies : 5

SAR teams - feedback wanted

I know there are at least a few members on this site who volunteer on SAR teams.

As a software engineer, it always helps to have a side project going to learn new stuff, doubly so when your day job isn't anything sexy. In order to learn about mapping APIs (and a bunch of other stuff), I created a tool to address some of the issues I've seen on searches, and I'd like to "shop ...
Read more : SAR teams - feedback wanted | Views : 2649 | Replies : 3

Mountain Medics International

Sorry if this is not the appropriate place to post this but it is definitely relevant to the topic of mountain medicine.

Mountaineers and explorers for many decades have visited wonderful landscapes to consume with their eyes, the gorgeous scenery and/or gain glory in their respective communities with feats of strength and skill. Yet, not often have they taken a moment to pay homage to the extraordinary peoples and cultures of these regions. Rarely have ...
Read more : Mountain Medics International | Views : 2510 | Replies : 3

Diabetic hikers and climbers

Are there any diabetic hikers or climbers here? What tips do you have for controlling blood sugar levels during long, strenuous days in the outdoors? A friend of mine who is diabetic and who maintains very tight control over his blood sugar levels shows great interest in my trips, but always declines going because he thinks he will have trouble controlling his blood sugar. I wish he could go with me, and think he might ...
Read more : Diabetic hikers and climbers | Views : 3519 | Replies : 7

Which States Charge for SAR?

In the November Outside magazine, an article mentioned that eight States currently charge for Search & Rescue. It didn't list which States charge, does anyone know? New Hampshire is the only one mentioned.
Read more : Which States Charge for SAR? | Views : 9026 | Replies : 10

The Wages Of Sin

While I am not a misanthrope, I do think this has been a long time coming. If you want to keep those rescuers everyone seems to hold in such high regard out of harm's way, then send them out on less calls by keeping the morons out of the backcountry.

http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20091 ... ofile=1058

Put the great, unprepared, swarming masses on notice. Let them know there will be repercussions for ...
Read more : The Wages Of Sin | Views : 5188 | Replies : 16

? Retaining Acclimatisation

Q1: My understanding is that we can acclimatise to altitude more easily the more times we go on an expedition. Is it true, and any recognised reading available?

Q2: I've read that we lose acclimatisation at the same rate we gained it.
"10 days after returning to sea level, we have lost 80 percent of our adaptations." http://www.elbrus.org/eng1/high_altitude1.htm

Whilst I felt that I have, is there any evidence of ...
Read more : ? Retaining Acclimatisation | Views : 3187 | Replies : 11

Grand Canyon rescue -- third time's the charm

Grand Canyon National Park (AZ)
Hikers Evacuated After Three SPOT Activations In Three Days

On the evening of September 23rd, rangers began a search for hikers who repeatedly activated their rented SPOT satellite tracking device. The GEOS Emergency Response Center in Houston reported that someone in the group of four hikers – two men and their two teenaged sons – had pressed the “help” button on their ...
Read more : Grand Canyon rescue -- third time's the charm | Views : 14732 | Replies : 27

Hypoglycemia

I've mentioned this mystery bug I've suffered for close on 30 years on various parts of SP.

It has a dramatic effect when I'm walking a hill or mountain. Never turned back from it, but really been slowed and once, (recently), had to stop for a while to recover.

Main effect is incredible sweating and very significant loss of energy. Sometimes very sudden!

For those who know me, yes I am a fat bastard. But ...
Read more : Hypoglycemia | Views : 6891 | Replies : 14

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557947 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136405