Spantiks on Denali

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Damien Gildea

Re: Spantiks on Denali

by Damien Gildea » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:20 pm

Vitaliy

Before fancy foamy boots like Millet Everest/OneSport, LS OlyMons etc, people used to climb 8000m peaks in Scarpa Vega/Inverno (same thing US vs EU). Of course they are not as warm as MilEv or OlyMons, but are more durable and more versatile. Spantiks may also be warmer and probably lighter (plus they have a rand etc for more tech climbing). You should note that Scarpa and LaSportiva fit differently. I take a 47 in LS but a 47 in all Scarpas is too short (but wider).

But for Denali WB? You can use plenty of boots. I used an old pair of Asolo AFS 101, the famous and popular grey & purple boot from the 1990s. They fit OK, not too tight, and my feet were never cold, with temps down to -50C in May there. I had 40Below overboots and used them on summit day, but in colder temps down low before that my feet were fine.

As others have said above, comparing ratings and Himalayan things to other things is inaccurate. Altitude slows you down and makes everything seem colder, but on the other hand it can be 30C at 6000m in Pakistan or Nepal. It will pretty much never be 30C at 6000m on Denali!

Companies can be quite misleading in their claims about boots, including LaSportiva (who I really like), always bigging-up what their boots can do. You need to work it out for yourself based on experience and common sense. Just because a boot was used 'on' Everest does not mean that it was worn to the summit of Everest - LaSportiva were guilty of this line with the Baturas a year or two ago.

Also, people often push gear beyond 'normal' limits if they are doing something abnormal, which is why Vince Anderson and his partner used a BD Firstlight tent to climb the Rupal Face of Nanga Parbat - they had good weather, and anything else was too heavy for a climb like that so there is not really a choice.

In all cases, fit is the most important thing, as you will read now on all web forums - but not necessarily in the same way for all things. For something cold but easy like Denali, you do not want a close fit, you want a bit of room so that you can wear two thick socks (not too tight) and still have room to wiggle your toes. If your heel slips a little - so what? You are really only walking on routes like that, no frontpointing. It's more important for them to be comfortable and warm.

Read this: http://www.andy-kirkpatrick.com/article ... tain_boots

As time goes by and gear progresses, the 'minimum' that people will accept, or think they need, keeps increasing. You see it on all the popular mountains. If better gear is available, people will buy it because they think they need it. Ice tools are a good example, people now want Nomics to climb WI4. Fear and nerves also play a role, as does people having too much money and not enough experience. When I did Denali in May 2000, only a few people had Millets - they were considered overkill. Now it seems lots of people use them (esp if they intend to also do Ev etc). I guess if you have money to burn (freeze?) it does not matter. I have never had money to burn.

So long as you have decent double boots in OK shape that fit well, it's more important to do things like:
- stay hydrated
- eat plenty of calories
- don't put cold boots on
- don't put damp socks on
- keep moving, don't stand around
- if your toes do get cold, swing your legs and kick your feet to warm them back up before they get worse
- don't "push on" with numb toes, especially uphill
- keep your core warm

And so on ...

D
Last edited by Damien Gildea on Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:32 pm

Vitaliy M wrote:How about Scarp Inverno?
With or without over boots?
I have the boots already (little older version, and worn them plenty) (75$ from ebay)
and a friend will let me use over boots he used on denali..will that be relatively good? Invernos weight like a freaking pair of Everest Millets they better keep my ass warm...

When I climbed Denali in early May of 2005 my two climbing partners both wore Invernos with Intuition liners up to 17K. They put on 40 below overboots for summit day and never complained about cold feet. I would say the temps on that trip were average, meaning not too cold. I believe Intuition Sports now includes instructions with their liners for fitting them at home using rice, or something like that, and a microwave.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:47 am

Vitaliy M wrote: He didn't wear Spantiks... There was a big controversy because he actually used a different, warmer boot.

Ah yep, I remember that now, though I thought it was for another piece of gear! But - he wore Nuptses (I just checked in a photo). I have Nuptses and they are not as warm as Spantiks as far as I can see. I wore Nuptses up to high camp on Vinson in 2004 and my feet got a little chilly. The shells on them have very little insulation, and the inners are not as good as the Spantik inners, which are the same as the OlyMons inners. I have used Intuition Denali liners in my Nuptses too. They are lighter and maybe warmer, but they do not tighten up enough at the front, so actually give a looser fit than the stock inners. I have used OlyMons a lot and they are noticeably warmer than my Nuptses. No way I would take my Nuptses to 8000m.

welle

by welle » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:56 pm

Damien Gildea wrote:... Vince Anderson and his partner used a BD Firstlight tent to climb the Rupal Face of Nanga Parbat ...

D

Love it! That I'm not the only person who thinks Vince is da man! :twisted:

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:39 pm

Vitaliy M wrote:Scotty P, are you planning to get up to Shasta this winter? I remember we almost met out there earlier this year when you were attempting Casaval and I was on Green Butte ridge..

I am going to try at least one trip. Going to Aco Jan 15 - Feb 6 or so. That will kill a portion of my calendar. We could always meet up on Tam for some training!

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:38 pm

Damien Gildea wrote:Vitaliy

Before fancy foamy boots like Millet Everest/OneSport, LS OlyMons etc, people used to climb 8000m peaks in Scarpa Vega/Inverno (same thing US vs EU). Of course they are not as warm as MilEv or OlyMons, but are more durable and more versatile. Spantiks may also be warmer and probably lighter (plus they have a rand etc for more tech climbing). You should note that Scarpa and LaSportiva fit differently. I take a 47 in LS but a 47 in all Scarpas is too short (but wider).

But for Denali WB? You can use plenty of boots. I used an old pair of Asolo AFS 101, the famous and popular grey & purple boot from the 1990s. They fit OK, not too tight, and my feet were never cold, with temps down to -50C in May there. I had 40Below overboots and used them on summit day, but in colder temps down low before that my feet were fine.

As others have said above, comparing ratings and Himalayan things to other things is inaccurate. Altitude slows you down and makes everything seem colder, but on the other hand it can be 30C at 6000m in Pakistan or Nepal. It will pretty much never be 30C at 6000m on Denali!

Companies can be quite misleading in their claims about boots, including LaSportiva (who I really like), always bigging-up what their boots can do. You need to work it out for yourself based on experience and common sense. Just because a boot was used 'on' Everest does not mean that it was worn to the summit of Everest - LaSportiva were guilty of this line with the Baturas a year or two ago.

Also, people often push gear beyond 'normal' limits if they are doing something abnormal, which is why Vince Anderson and his partner used a BD Firstlight tent to climb the Rupal Face of Nanga Parbat - they had good weather, and anything else was too heavy for a climb like that so there is not really a choice.

In all cases, fit is the most important thing, as you will read now on all web forums - but not necessarily in the same way for all things. For something cold but easy like Denali, you do not want a close fit, you want a bit of room so that you can wear two thick socks (not too tight) and still have room to wiggle your toes. If your heel slips a little - so what? You are really only walking on routes like that, no frontpointing. It's more important for them to be comfortable and warm.

Read this: http://www.andy-kirkpatrick.com/article ... tain_boots

As time goes by and gear progresses, the 'minimum' that people will accept, or think they need, keeps increasing. You see it on all the popular mountains. If better gear is available, people will buy it because they think they need it. Ice tools are a good example, people now want Nomics to climb WI4. Fear and nerves also play a role, as does people having too much money and not enough experience. When I did Denali in May 2000, only a few people had Millets - they were considered overkill. Now it seems lots of people use them (esp if they intend to also do Ev etc). I guess if you have money to burn (freeze?) it does not matter. I have never had money to burn.

So long as you have decent double boots in OK shape that fit well, it's more important to do things like:
- stay hydrated
- eat plenty of calories
- don't put cold boots on
- don't put damp socks on
- keep moving, don't stand around
- if your toes do get cold, swing your legs and kick your feet to warm them back up before they get worse
- don't "push on" with numb toes, especially uphill
- keep your core warm

And so on ...

D

there are certain people you should take advice from on this forum, this guy is one of them.

see the guy on the right? he's a poser. see the Russian guy on the left? dude climbed Elbrus with $50 worth of gear. you should see his old skool shoes and crampons. Russians are tough man.

welle

by welle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:01 pm

kevin trieu wrote: see the Russian guy on the left? dude climbed Elbrus with $50 worth of gear. you should see his old skool shoes and crampons. Russians are tough man.

didn't Boukreev run up and down Everest in tennis shoes or something?

brokesomeribs

by brokesomeribs » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:11 pm

kevin trieu wrote:
there are certain people you should take advice from on this forum, this guy is one of them.

see the guy on the right? he's a poser. see the Russian guy on the left? dude climbed Elbrus with $50 worth of gear. you should see his old skool shoes and crampons. Russians are tough man.

Reebok wind pants and a highway safety vest? This dude's got more man points than anyone I've ever met. Holy crap.

gert

by gert » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:37 pm

welle wrote:
kevin trieu wrote: see the Russian guy on the left? dude climbed Elbrus with $50 worth of gear. you should see his old skool shoes and crampons. Russians are tough man.

As far as I remember he used Scarpa Freney on Broad Peak and tennis shoes for fixing the lines on Everest.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:32 pm

gert wrote:
welle wrote:

As far as I remember he used Scarpa Freney on Broad Peak and tennis shoes for fixing the lines on Everest.

I don't think he wore tennis shoes but shoes with special spikes in them he often wore in the mountains. If I'm not mistaken he mentioned in his book The Climb that he went to the end of the fixed ropes below Camp 3 in his shoes after accidently forgetting to put on his boots.

Previous

Return to Gear