Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

The Way Back

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
 

The Way Back

Postby Diego Sahagún » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:05 pm

The Long Walk, did it ever happen?

http://www.explorersweb.com/trek/news.php?id=19859
User Avatar
Diego Sahagún

 
Posts: 14505
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2001 6:21 pm
Location: Madrid, Spain
Thanked: 562 times in 512 posts

Re: The Way Back

Postby Diego Sahagún » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:48 pm

tazz, read that -> Gliniecki: "I have solid evidence Glinski didn't do The Long Walk":

http://www.explorersweb.com/trek/news.php?id=19856
User Avatar
Diego Sahagún

 
Posts: 14505
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2001 6:21 pm
Location: Madrid, Spain
Thanked: 562 times in 512 posts

Re: The Way Back

Postby Diego Sahagún » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:27 pm

You're welcome tazz. Perhaps I should go to watch the movie. Does anybody watch The Way Back :?:
User Avatar
Diego Sahagún

 
Posts: 14505
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2001 6:21 pm
Location: Madrid, Spain
Thanked: 562 times in 512 posts

Re: The Way Back

Postby Dow Williams » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:14 pm

Absolutely one of the best stories of all time, one of my top two favorite books. The controversy over this half century has done nothing but bring about more interest in the story. The fact that Slavomir was able to keep everyone guessing until his death was pretty wicked. Only time I ever had ever had a serious conversation with someone from the main stream film industry was regarding this book.
User Avatar
Dow Williams

 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:59 pm
Location: Utah and Canadian Rockies
Thanked: 219 times in 101 posts

Re: The Way Back

Postby MoapaPk » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:18 pm

I dropped the penny when he began talking about going weeks through the dessert without water.
User Avatar
MoapaPk

 
Posts: 7651
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 7:42 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Thanked: 756 times in 490 posts

Re: The Way Back

Postby Diego Sahagún » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:24 pm

Dow Williams wrote:Absolutely one of the best stories of all time, one of my top two favorite books. The controversy over this half century has done nothing but bring about more interest in the story. The fact that Slavomir was able to keep everyone guessing until his death was pretty wicked. Only time I ever had ever had a serious conversation with someone from the main stream film industry was regarding this book.

What's the other favourite book between your first two :?:

Somehow the thread's book reminds me of Seven Years in Tibet...
User Avatar
Diego Sahagún

 
Posts: 14505
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2001 6:21 pm
Location: Madrid, Spain
Thanked: 562 times in 512 posts

Re: The Way Back

Postby WouterB » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:32 pm

Reminds me of "as far as my feet will carry me", which I've mentioned here on SP before. There's a movie about that one too, but I much prefer the book. I've read it both in Dutch and in German (non-translated version) and thought it was an amazing read.

The story is much the same, except that this one is actually... true.
User Avatar
WouterB

 
Posts: 3133
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:54 pm
Location: Lugano, Ticino, Switzerland
Thanked: 13 times in 13 posts

Re: The Way Back

Postby Marmaduke » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:39 pm

Diego Sahagún wrote:The Long Walk, did it ever happen?

http://www.explorersweb.com/trek/news.php?id=19859


It was an excellent book, almost hard to believe. And I guess there is some questions being raised.
User Avatar
Marmaduke

 
Posts: 1331
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:08 am
Location: Sonoma, California, United States
Thanked: 583 times in 449 posts

Re: The Way Back

Postby fatdad » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:05 pm

tazz wrote:Yeah I see that. It is still a good book. I don't care if it is fake or not. Of course it gave it more importance when thinking it was fact. That still won't change my mind on the fact that it is a good book. Just move it from the non-fiction section to the fiction section. :wink:

again, thanks for the link.


I agree. I wanted to believe it's true, though the rational part of me knows that's unlikely. Possible, probably only remotely possible, but unlikely. Also, his failure to discuss the trip after the book was published, the failure of anyone else to surface to corroborate, etc., etc. Ultimately, however, I don't really care. Still a gripping read.
User Avatar
fatdad

 
Posts: 1389
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:39 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States
Thanked: 87 times in 61 posts

Re: The Way Back

Postby Dow Williams » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:44 pm

Diego Sahagún wrote:
Dow Williams wrote:Absolutely one of the best stories of all time, one of my top two favorite books. The controversy over this half century has done nothing but bring about more interest in the story. The fact that Slavomir was able to keep everyone guessing until his death was pretty wicked. Only time I ever had ever had a serious conversation with someone from the main stream film industry was regarding this book.

What's the other favourite book between your first two :?:

Somehow the thread's book reminds me of Seven Years in Tibet...


We Die Alone...a legit and well documented story of a Norwegian spy by the name of Jan Baalsrud. Howarth, the author, had his own doubt of some of the circumstances until he visited most each and every location involved in Jan's story and confirmed his recollection via various, but separate, witness accounts. I have original editions of both books. I have often toyed with the idea of following his footsteps, including a very cold and arduous swim.
User Avatar
Dow Williams

 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:59 pm
Location: Utah and Canadian Rockies
Thanked: 219 times in 101 posts

Re: The Way Back

Postby fatdad » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:56 pm

We Die Alone is awesome. I mean, the guy has to outrun a bunch of armed Nazis, barefoot in a frigid Norwegian winter. The story kind of bogs down later (which I won't get into for those who haven't read it) but a great read nevertheless.
User Avatar
fatdad

 
Posts: 1389
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:39 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States
Thanked: 87 times in 61 posts

Re: The Way Back

Postby Diego Sahagún » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:41 am

Yesterday I watched the movie. It's a fair film, too many walks in deserts and open spaces without anything more. Even they found the Himalayas just after crossing The Great Wall of China :?
Last edited by Diego Sahagún on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User Avatar
Diego Sahagún

 
Posts: 14505
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2001 6:21 pm
Location: Madrid, Spain
Thanked: 562 times in 512 posts

Next

Return to General

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.