Time for Bob Shiler to go away.

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Guyzo

Time for Bob Shiler to go away.

by Guyzo » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:27 pm

OK, I personally have had it with this person being a moderator.

Bob, why do you take it upon yourself to wreck threads?

What is your personal motivation?

Who gave you the power to do this?

I really mean this, I do not think I am breaking any rules.

I never try to demean anyone on SP, nor do I toss bombs.

I am just very dissatisfied with your idea of just what "Moderating" is.

Many many good folks have split this site for other sites.

Do you care that you are ruining what was once the best climbing site on the net?????

I figgure this thread is going to be deleted in about 50 seconds, after you see it, but I feel better because I wrote it, it shows my true feelings.

I don't dislike you or anybody on this site.

But I do think you are doing a horrible job.

Respectively

Guy Keesee

Long time Summitpost member.

rhyang

Re: Time for Bob Shiler to go away.

by rhyang » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:45 pm

I think Bob Sihler is doing a great job !
Taaaake !

The following user would like to thank rhyang for this post
chugach mtn boy, CSUMarmot, JasonH, mvs

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:16 pm

Montana Matt........

* Thanks
* Report this post

Re: What have you given up for climbing?

Postby Bob Sihler » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:32 pm
Pages 5-11 of this thread have a new home in Off-Route. I apologize to the few who actually made on-topic posts in those pages.

Why did this get moved? I was really enjoying the read. now its gone, disjointed by somebody.

So I really mean this.

Bottom Line.... I feel like I am a grown up, I can stand up for myself and decide for myself just what I wish to read.

If somebody jumped in and started calling people names like "Homo" etc .... I can understand deleting a post or two and if a member is really breaking the rules, kicking them off is OK. But to just break up a good, deep post, where real feelings about climbing are coming to the surface is just wrong, just wrong.

I don't like it.

I think he is way off base.

Respectively.

Guy Keesee

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Many an SP thread has wound up in Off-Route, or, in the old days, in PnP. Usually, that made people unhappy, and then the threads died because most of the membership preferred not to post in PnP.

The thread in question was headed for Off-Route, whether by me or another moderator. Even some of the posters sensed it and mentioned it.

Rather than see the whole thread go, I decided to split it about where it went south. It meant that a few of the thoughtful posts went with it, like one by Dow, but I can restore those.

Sorry if trying to save the intent and direction of a good thread was such a bad thing.

The rest is still there in Off-Route for anyone who wants to read it. It's not deleted, just moved.

Edit: Several more posts have been restored.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
chugach mtn boy, lcarreau, mvs, rhyang

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:37 pm

I personally was very glad that Bob moved those pages of the post to Off-Route. In that thread, mvs asked a question that I imagine many people on SP have struggled with. Unfortunately, as so often happens in a good forum discussion on SP, the thread was "hijacked". Ironically Bob participated in the hijacking (from my perspective). Most of what went on in those 5 or 6 pages was no way related to mvs' post and were a complete distraction. It was obvious that several people participating were annoyed that the thread was hijacked.

I don't participate in forum discussion very much on SP, precisely for this reason. Good threads get hijacked! I only start threads when I am looking for specific beta on an upcoming trip. I know I can get some good input.

Asking open ended questions like mvs did, so often leads to nonsense. So for that reason I agree with and support Bob's decision.

The following user would like to thank MarkDidier for this post
Mountainjeff, mvs

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:03 pm

I appreciate the job of Moderator, sometimes somebody needs to step in and say STOP.

I just do not like the job he is doing.

I disagree with his policy.

Go look at the rest of the pages, in off route, many of the IDIOT post were from the Moderators... I would go back and count but It would be a waste of time.

So now we have a truncated thread. It will drop to the bottom quickly and soon will be forgotten. (I have a hard time expressing my point while writing, my wife, a english teacher has been working on me for years to improve)

This is sad, because the topic of the thread, was getting close to the core of why we climb. Understanding "why" is important to me. It is something I wish to explore with other climbers.

One of the best things about SP is the international nature of it, and WHO, sometimes joins into the fun.

Now, with the topic being buried in "Junk", or whatever, nobody is going to see it and add their perspective.

I don't mind skipping posts written by the obvious nut-jobs, bomb throwers, wana bees, etc. I know what they are going to say anyway and I just let it slide by.

So now that it is moved it is killed.

I just don't wish to hand over that power to some Moderator, however well intentioned.

Guy Keesee

Mountainjeff

by Mountainjeff » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:39 pm

Guyzo wrote: many of the IDIOT post were from the Moderators... I would go back and count but It would be a waste of time.

Count them. Vague (read: false) accusations don't hold any water without proof. If you are so passionate about removing Bob, then you must be willing to find and post the evidence. I don't think you will find much if you actually look.

Bob Shiler has done a pretty darn good job as a moderator.

The following user would like to thank Mountainjeff for this post
lcarreau, yatsek

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:02 pm

tazz wrote:...

No hard feelings, Tazz, but I find it quite pathetic how you portray yourself here now. I don't have to remind anybody who reads in these forums how you felt about this site. In many profane ways you trashed this site as a whole and many people behind it. You deleted your contributions and "threatened" to leave this site for good. Now you are back and apologize to people and the site in general about your behavior. Only because you apparently got what you wanted. It's pretty childish if you ask me. Throw a fit, pout, wait until you get what you want, and then come back. Pathetic in my book. I for myself won't forget what you said and thought about this site.

The following user would like to thank SoCalHiker for this post
anita, OJ Loenneker

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:04 pm

Guyzo wrote:....

Guy, you simply cannot do a good job moderating this forum for everybody.

Some will be happy, other unhappy about the same thing.

Many people, many opinions. No perfect solution for everybody.
Last edited by SoCalHiker on Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank SoCalHiker for this post
lcarreau

isostatic

by isostatic » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:11 pm

I appreciate the moderation done by Bob Sihler and the other elves, and in my opinion it is done at exactly the right level!

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:13 pm

tazz wrote: Same with the rest of you pointy eared dudes.

Thank you. It's not EASY being blessed with pointy ears !

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:18 am

I say make you, Guy, a "Moderator" and let's see what ya got.

$10.00 says that you will do as much if not more "Moderating" of threads, as any "Elf" dude has done in a far shorter time frame.

As I see it, all that you posted/complained about Bob S in OP, comes with the job. Hell, I feel that a primary reason that Aaron Johnson hung up his "Moderator" shoes was cuz too many folks were whining about BS things.

Again, take on the responsibility Guy and let's see how long you last before someone post up something in the same lines against you, as you have here.

Me personally, I aint gonna touch how BOB S is moderating. I know what it's like to try to please em all.... you don't! You follow set protocols and if they whine, fk em all!

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:49 am

I believe there is a little more to all this than just splitting threads.

Many members may not know it, but the elves have recently taken a much heavier hand concerning certain activities by certain people; anyone who wants the details can find a long post, with a link to an even longer post, in a sticky thread in Off-Route.

By choice, I have been the public face of a lot of this, though not all.

It has made me highly unpopular with some people, and it has cost me some friendships and strained some others. None of that makes me happy at all, but I knew it was going to be the cost of this. Accepting that was the hardest part, but after accepting it, it was easier to do what I felt was right for the vast majority of the membership here.

Also, SP has been through things like this before. Just last January, the person who started this thread tried to pressure Dave K into stepping down over the pulling of PnP (http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/what-happened-to-the-pnp-forums-t51220-105.html). And last year at about this time, a former member publicly called on Aaron Johnson to quit for allegedly tolerating and protecting a certain member who is still active here. That led to Aaron putting out a poll about whether he should stay or go, something I will not put myself through.

Cheers, everyone.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:10 am

Sorry, but "Off-Route" is NOT my bag. Of COOKIES, that is..

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:13 am

PS: You Civilians are soooooooooooooo funny!

Whine and bitch at those in charge. Then, when and if ya'll do step up to the plate and assume the position, most if not all of them whiners become ten times worse than those they whined about..... fact!

Next

Return to Site Feedback