Pirineos: Roncesvalles-Irati

Pirineos: Roncesvalles-Irati

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 42.99110°N / 1.01291°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6617 ft / 2017 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The first 2000 meters of...Ory

Because the number of mountains of this area actually in SP is a few (only 3 mountains) I decided to joint this 2 very wide areas but really it's the area of Roncesvalles and the area of Irati.
For the same reason the mountains of the Basse Navarre (north, french side) as Behorlegi are linked to this area for the moment.

Roncesvalles

Ory and OrtzanzurietaOry & Ortzanzurieta
Entering the Colegiata of...Roncesvalles

Roncesvalles / Orreaga is the area around this important village. Roncesvalles has the historic pass across the Pyrenees on Ibañeta (the way of Santiago, the battle of Rolando,...) and it's an important touristic place with church (Colegiata) and monastery. All the peaks are big hills with easy walks to the summit, nice forest and very wide panoramas.

-Villages: Erro, Burguete / Auritz, Roncesvalles / Orreaga, Valcarlos / Luzaide.
(some villages has 2 names, in Spanish and Euskera, I'd writen both to evitate confusions in the roads)

-Mountains: Lindus (1220m), Laurinaga (1278m), Adartza (1250m), Munhoa (1021m), Astobizkar (1506m), Ortzanzurieta (1567m), Txangoa (1471m), Leitzarateka (1409m), Urkulu (1419m), Mendilatz (1337m), Errozate (1345m),Mendizar (1223m).



Irati

OryOry (2017m)

Peak Ory and the normal route...Ory
AbodiAbodi

The great forest of river Irati is named Selva del Irati and is presided for the great Pic d'Ory, the first 2000 meters of Pyrenees from the west, a perfect watchtower for the western Pyrenees.

-Villages: Ochagavia, Jaurrieta, Escaroz.
-Mountains: Abodi Occidental (1496m), Abodi (1533m), Bizkarze (1656m), Zazpigaña (1765m), Ori (2017m).

Basse Navarre

Okabe and SaroberriOkabe
 Pic de Behorlegi in autumn...Behorlegi

In the north of Roncesvalles-Irati area in french side with the areas of Basse Navarre and Zuberoa, including Iparralde's Irati, without pages in SP:
-Villages: San Jean de Piet de Port (Donibane Garazi), Mendibe, Larrau.
-Mountains: Okabe (1466m), Mendibel (1411m), Artanolatz (1530m), Escaliers (1472m), Hauskoa (1268m), Behorlegi (1265m).


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.