Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 28.90240°N / 82.52380°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 19951 ft / 6081 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pisang Peak (Jong Ri) is a trekking peak in the Annapurna sanctuary region of North-Central Nepal. It's located North of the Town of Pisang and Annapurnna II.

It's often climbed as a 3 day excursion from the Annapurnna circuit. An Avalanche in 2005 ended climbing on the old route (South/Southwest Face) which was a very non-technical peak (PD-). The new route (West Ridge) is a solid PD. Trekkers looking for a true trekkable peak may be more happy on Island or a Chulu. However with some expierance the New Route offers a very rewarding and astetic climb.

Getting There

Pay lots of money and fly to Kathmandu. Once there you need to get to the town of Pisang (the normal trailhead). Your options are to either hike part of the Annapurna Circiut or Fly to Hongde.

If you elect to take the circuit you can arrange either a car or bus to Beshiswar and begin the 4-5 day hike to pisang along the standard (counter clockwise) route.

Flights to Hongde can be arranged in Kathmandu. These flights are often cancelled due to poor mountain weather, so you may have to wait a few days.

Red Tape

Pisang is a trekking peak so the Red Tape is pretty limited by Nepali standards. As of 2007 its a 350 USD permit and a 250 USD refundable garbage deposit. You will also need an Annapurna conservation area permit which is also around 300 USD.

Camping

Once you get out of Pisang you can camp anywhere. However there are 3 standard camping locations.

Base camp is at 4200m in a flat alpine section along the well worn trail. The piles of rocks for wind breaks make it obvious

A poor place to put high camp is located at approxamtely 4900m just on the edge of the snow line, camping here will give you a very long summit day.

High Camp is located at 5200m, just shy of the actual west ridge. It is easy to miss, however if you follow the route which leads you up to the west ridge and reach the west ridge itself you've past high camp by only 60ft.

External Links

Many companies can arrange all your flights, permits, porters, sherpas ect. We had great success with Himalayan Glacier www.himalayanglacier.com

Supplies and Porters

Any gear you could possible need for the trip is in (Thamel) Kathmandu. Even very high quality brand new equipment. Canaster Fuel is also available as is Kerosine.

Portable food is a bit more difficult. If you want to go unsupported you'll probably want to bring your own dehydrated food for the climb as it was not avaialbe in Kathmandu.

We elected to be supported with porters and a cook. It was inexpensive and we recieved high quality food.

Porters can be arranged for ~ 10USD/day by any outfitter or highered without an angency, however, doing so makes handling the porter much more difficult, as payment, food, and equipment become a constant challenge.

Shepas/Mountain Guides can be hired for ~ 350 USD. However do insist that you guide has climbind the 'new' (after 2005) route as many teams are turned back due to poor guides

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
dmiki

dmiki - Mar 23, 2008 3:02 pm - Voted 8/10

Annapurna conservation area permit

should be 30 USD (not 300) - about 2000 Nepali rupees

dmiki

dmiki - Mar 23, 2008 3:16 pm - Voted 8/10

A trip report

in German

dmiki

dmiki - Mar 28, 2008 5:47 am - Voted 8/10

Lat/Lon incorrect

Should be 28.644722 / 84.178611

dmiki

dmiki - Mar 28, 2008 5:55 am - Voted 8/10

height

Most sources quote the peak as being 19,983 ft / 6091 m

Viewing: 1-4 of 4



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Nepal 6000 M PeaksMountains & Rocks
 
Nepalese Trekking PeaksMountains & Rocks