Plaschweller / Monte Plagabella

Plaschweller / Monte Plagabella

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.63518°N / 10.50790°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8314 ft / 2534 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Plaschweller main summitPlaschweller main summit

In the north of the Ortler / Cevedale Group the long Fallatschkamm / Cresta di Valazza leads from Stilfser Joch / Passo Dello Stelvio towards the ancient city of Glurns / Glorenza ending at Glurnser Köpfl / Monte di Glorenza. It is one of the lower subgroups of the range, consisting of a single northbound ridge with a short additional side ridge near Stilfser Joch. Still only three parts of the ridge can be reached by hikers, the southern part near Rötelspitz / Punta Rosa, the central part near Piz Minschuns / Schafberg and the northern part between Piz Chavatatsch / Monte Cavallaccio and Glurnser Köpfl / Monte di Glorenza. The central mountain of this latter section is Plaschweller / Monte Plagabella.
Nearing the Plaschweller summit ridgeBeneath the Plaschweller summit ridge

Unlike its neighbour Glurnser Köpfl / Monte di Glorenza, Plaschweller / Monte Plagabella is more than just a round-topped mountain with a good view towards Vinschgau / Val Venosta and Münstertal / Val Müstair. Its twin summits are connected by a rocky ridge, on which you experience a moderate amount of exposure already. The mountain is located in the triangle, which is formed by the Vinscgau and Münstertal Valleys and thus often is exposed to high winds which hit it unimpeded from either north, east or west.
Plaschweller
On the Plaschweller Summit Ridge
Plaschweller

There are three possible trailheads, one at Taufers / Tubre, one at Glurns / Glorenza and one at Lichtenberger Höfe / Malghe di Montechiaro, a small hamlet at 1500m on a balcony above the Vinschgau Valley. The two former trailheads scale between 1300m and 1600m in elevation so that the mountain is usually climbed from Lichtenberger Höfe / Malghe di Montechiaro. Often the ascent is connected with a visit of Glurnser Köpfl / Monte di Glorenza which is separated from Plaschweller by a high plateau only.

Trailhead Panorama

Vinschgau / Val Venosta Panorama from Lichtenberger Höfe

Getting There

PlaschwellerPlaschweller as seen from Piz Dora

The two trailheads at Glurns / Glorenza and Lichtenberg / Montechiaro are connected by a country road, SP50. From Lichtenberg, a narrow mountain road leads to Lichtenberger Höfe / Malghe di Montechiaro.

From Austria
Take B180 from Landeck, which at the border turns into SS40. At Mals turn onto SP85 to Glurns.

From Italy
Take SS38 from Bozen / Bolzano and Meran / Merano to Spondinig / Spondigna. Here switch to SS40 to Schluderns / Sluderno where you switch to SS41 to Glurns / Glorenza.

From Switzerland
Take B28 across Ofenpass / Pass dal Fuorn and through Münstertal / Val Müstair. At the border it turns into SS41 to Glurns / Glorenza.

Red Tape

Like the rest of the Ortler / Cevedale Group, Fallatschkamm is part of a national park, Nationalpark Stilfserjoch / Parco Nationale dello Stelvio. You can find information about the park on the official site

Accommodation

Weather Conditions



Maps & Books

  • Digital Maps

  • Regular Maps
    • Vinschgau / Val Venosta
      Kompass Map WK52
      1:50000
      ISBN: 978-3-85491-058-9
    • Alta Val Venosta / Vinschgauer Oberland
      Tabacco Map 43
      1:25000

    Books


    • Vinschgau
      Rother Wanderführer
      Rother Verlag
      ISBN: 978-3-7633-4204-1
    • Vinschgau / Ortlergruppe
      Kompass Wanderbuch 950
      Kompass Verlag
      ISBN: 3-87051-404-3


  • Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.