Roadside Crag

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 25.77655°N / 56.09156°E
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information County: Ras Al Kahmiah
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing, Toprope, Bouldering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Very popular crag in the area. It is the closest to RAK besides "Disc World". It has rather solid and good quality rock, however you will still find flakes and loose rock. The ridge above the routes where the anchors is full if unstable and loose rock so watch your step and be wary of those below. The area also is shaded throughout the day. The routes vary in length from 9m to 30m. Some of the longer routes can be climbed in one or two pitches.

Mostly trad but there are 3 difficult short sport routes on steep rock that has been cleaned very well. Almost all of the routes on the "Lower Level" have TR anchors at the top as well. You can access the top by scrambling up the gully on the far left or far right side. The gully on far right just past the "North-West Right" has anchors bolted going from the corner at the ground up and to the left to set up a Via Feratta line to make access easier and safer.

This area is labeled as the "Roadside Area" in the guide book. It also goes by "Roadside Crag" and "Roadside Buttress". There is also another area in a different wadi named "Roadside."


Below are useful links where you can find .pdf files on areas not printed in the guide book, other climbers, info, topos....

www.redarmadapublishing.com/updates.php This is the Guide Book
www.foordkelcey.net/uae/
www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=10128914047
uaeclimbing.blogspot.com/
www.uaeclimbing.com/forum/
www.omanclimbing.com/forum/index.php
www.arabiaoutdoor.com An excellent well know guide

Getting There

Fly into Dubai or Abu Dhabi.
There are some ok off road books that will help you get to these areas as well as the guide book. However roads here change every day they pop up and disappear overnight. Do not rely on your GPS to tell you how to get there. Most GPS in the UAE is not updated.
You can access some of the routes right off of the road. Other areas require a hike or some off-roading. Make sure you have 4-wheel drive. Expect some scrambling in some areas, lots of loose rock or soft sand.
All the areas within RAK can be accessed from the sign post into Wadi Bih.
From the roundabout on the north end of Emirates Rd. go N. for 7.7km to the Clock Tower roundabout. Turn right (going east) for 2.4km. The RAK lagoon will be on your left. Turn right (going SE) for 2.9km. You will pass a golf course and come to the Lantern roundabout. Go straight through the roundabout for 400m to the Coffee Pot roundabout. Go strait for 4km to a crossroad, and continue strait for 600m to a t-junction. Go right for 1.4km towards the mountains. You will pass a military base and the Wadi Bih (W. Al Baih) signpost will be just passed that.
After the Wadi Bih turn travel for 5km to the t-junction by the radio tower. Turn right, travel for 800m then turn right again (South East) to the road that lead to Wadi Qada'a. "Sentinel is visible" in the Wadi and Roadside is about 1km past "Sentinel".

Red Tape

Add Red Tape text here.

Camping

Free

External Links

Below are reference links and useful links where you can find .pdf files on areas not printed in the guidebook, other climbers, info, topos....

www.redarmadapublishing.com/updates.php This is the Guide Book
www.foordkelcey.net/uae/
www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=10128914047
www.uaeclimbing.blogspot.com/
www.uaeclimbing.com/forum/
www.omanclimbing.com/forum/index.php
www.arabiaoutdoor.com An excellent well know guide

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.