Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 25.87405°N / 56.06873°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Add External Links text here.

Overview

Sentinel Tower is home to eight trad routes; which are all about 120 meters. The Tower itself is over 200 meters tall from ground level. Getting to the routes takes about a 15 min hike/scramble up very steep, rocky and unstable terrain.

Sentinel Peak is slightly higher then the tower. It is home to 3 trad routes. You can get to the routes via the ascent/descent gully the separates the peak and tower. The gully on the left or right side of the tower.

Getting There

All the areas within RAK can be accessed from the sign post into Wadi Bih.
From the roundabout on the north end of Emirates Rd. go N. for 7.7km to the Clock Tower roundabout. Turn right (going east) for 2.4km. The RAK lagoon will be on your left. Turn right (going SE) for 2.9km. You will pass a golf course and come to the Lantern roundabout. Go straight through the roundabout for 400m to the Coffee Pot roundabout. Go strait for 4km to a crossroad, and continue strait for 600m to a t-junction. Go right for 1.4km towards the mountains. You will pass a military base and the Wadi Bih (W. Al Baih) signpost will be just passed that.

After the Wadi Bih turn travel for 5km to the t-junction by the radio tower. Turn right travel for 800m then turn right again (South East)on to gravel road that leads in to Wadi Qada'a. Sentinel is visible and very easy to identify.

There is a small farm at the bottom and a small parking area on the right side of the road. From the parking area it is a 273 meter hike up the very steep base to the bottom of the North side of the tower. The approach is over very loose rocky terrain. We hiked to the base from the parking area with out any gear and it took us 15 min.

Red Tape

The area where the peaks are at are on property that is presumably owned by local farmers. There has been no incident to date and we aim to keep it this way. Please be courteous to the peaks and the land around it.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.