Wonderwall

Wonderwall

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 24.07468°N / 56.04607°E
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing, Toprope
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1804 ft / 550 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is one of the more popular crags in the area. Wonderwall is technically in Oman but frequented by climbers living in the U.A.E. (United Arab Emirates). Approximately 140 kilometers (2 hours drive) from both Dubai (U.A.E.) & Abu Dhabi (U.A.E.). The rock is limestone and can be very sharp and abrasive. As most routes are relatively new in this part of the world you may find some loose rock. Use of a helmet would be wise.

Getting There

From Dubai take Road 66 to Al Ain. From Al Ain (U.A.E.) follow signs to the Hili Boarder crossing to Buraimi (Oman). Once across the border drive for approximately 500m and turn left (East) at the first roundabout. Drive 1.4km and you'll come to a roundabout, go straight through the roundabout keeping the Buraimi grand mosque on your left. Continue ahead leaving the city of Buraimi behind you. After 15km the road passes through a obvious notch in a ridge and on the other side of the ridge is another roundabout. Continue straight through the roundabout for another 17.5km and watch for a sign for Wadi Hamad. Approx. 50m after this sign turn right on an unmarked road (paved with a speed bump). The pavement ends very quickly and turns to dirt. Follow the dirt road another 50m then turn left onto the trucker road (paved) that parallels the main road. Drive the trucker road for about 500m then turn right between two boulders to follow power lines through the gap in the ridge. At 2.0 km (from the speed bump at the end of the pavement) Wonderwall can be seen. Stay left of the farms and make your way to the dunes at the foot of the wall.
Dune & CragDunes at foot of crag

Red Tape

The boarder crossing at Hili only requires passports. Currently there is no need to get out of the car. No visa or payment is required. However the process can change with little or no notice. It would be wise to get up to date information prior to crossing.

When to Climb

The wall is primarily north facing. Making it cooler throughout the day. The sun is on the face for only a few hours in the morning. It is comfortable to climb from October to May. In the summer months the temperature can reach 112 Degrees Fahrenheit (44 C). Almost no rain except for the occasional shower in the winter months.

Camping

There are places to camp at the foot of the crag. Be respectful of the few farms nearby.

Emergency Contact

U.A.E. & Oman police: 999

Ambulance: 998

External Links


UAE Rock Climbing by Toby Foord-Kelsey (2009) is a well-prepared, selective guidebook to climbing in the UAE and Oman.
www.redarmadapublishing.comsupports the guidebook with a blog, new route updates and an archive of routes not included in the guidebook.
www.uaeclimbing.com/forum is a web forum for UAE climbers.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.