Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.09000°N / 82.14°W
Additional Information County: Mitchell
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Elevation: 6267 ft / 1910 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Roan High Bluff is an amazing mountain that offers grand views of the surrounding area. There is an observation deck just below the summit. The trail to the summit winds through balsam forests and rhododendron thickets. The summit itself is a rock outcropping just above the observation deck. There are sheer cliffs that descend into the valley below. Tred lightly.
This is a relatively popular hike because of its proximity to the carpark. It can be particularly busy in late May to late June when the rhododendrons are in blume.

Getting There

Getting There:
From the town of Roan Mountain, Tennessee take TN 143 past Roan Mountain State Park up to Carvers Gap. From Carvers Gap, take the Appalachian Trail south 2.3 miles to Cloudland Mtn. Climb to the summit of Cloudland Mtn. & then descend down toward the road. Find parking lot #1 and the Cloudland Trail at the far end of the carpark. Follow the Cloudland Trail for about 1.5 miles. About eight meters from the observation deck veer off of the trail and locate the rock scramble that leads to the summit. The summit is marked by a USGS marker on the rocky summit.

When To Climb

The Mountain is accessable almost all year long with the exception being during periods of heavy snow. The rhododendrons blume from late May until about the end of June. Late may also brings an abundance of wildflowers to the area. Summers here can be hot, humid & crowded.

Camping

There is pay camping available at Roan Mounatin State Park at the base of the mountain (Tennessee side)

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
e-doc

e-doc - Jan 1, 2006 1:41 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

The summit road is gated at Carvers Gap Oct to May. There is a fee station at first parking lot in season. The only LEGAL camping is the shelter on the High Knob.

Eleutheros

Eleutheros - Jul 30, 2009 5:05 pm - Voted 9/10

Elevation Correction

According to USGS, Roan High Bluff is 6,267' not 6,287' Thanks!

Cortez

Cortez - Aug 6, 2009 7:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Elevation Correction

Typo corrected. Thanks for the heads up.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3