Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.06600°N / 105.15218°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information County: Custer
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10180 ft / 3103 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Round Top Views

This is a great little peak and certainly worth the trip.  Fantastic views make the trip more than worthwhile.  This is a good peak to include with other local hikes like St Charles Peak or other attractions.  Bishop Castle is very close to Round Top Mountain. If you haven’t visited this local landmark, you may wish to visit. 

Getting There

Getting There

From I-25South: Take exit 140 toward CO-115 S/Nevada Ave in Colorado Springs.  In 0.5 miles, turn right onto CO-115 S/S Nevada Ave/Vietnam VeteransMemorial Highway S; follow for 38.0 miles.  Turn left onto CO-67S/S Robinson Ave and continue for 11.1 miles.  Turn right onto CO-96 W. go 9.6 miles.  Turn left onto CO-165E/Greenhorn Hwy for 8.8 miles.  Turn left onto Co Rd 383 and arrive at the trailhead in 0.2miles.

Red Tape

There is little red tape in this part of the San Isabel National Forest. There are no fees to park or recreate in this area.

Camping & Lodging

National Forest Campgrounds

Campground NameElevationSitesNightly RateSeasonNotes
St. Charles8,800 ft.15$15May through OctoberNear Lake Isabel Recreation Area
Ophir8,900 ft.30$15Late May to early SeptemberVery close to Bishop's Castle
Davenport8,500 ft.12$13Late May to early SeptemberClose to Ophir CG
Oak Creek7,600 ft.16FreeYear-RoundLowest elevation; Closest to Cañon City; No water
La Vista8,600 ft.27$15-$19 (RV)Mid-April through Mid-OctoberOnly CG in San Isabel NF with electric hookups


Nearby Cities, Towns & Census Designated Places:

Beulah Valley, CO (8.3 miles ESE)
Fairview, CO (3.1 miles S)
McKenzie Junction, CO (5.6 miles NW)
Greenwood, CO (6.6 miles N)
Beulah, CO (7.2 miles ESE)
Cold Spring, CO (7.6 miles WNW)
Valley View, CO (7.9 miles ESE)
Wetmore, CO (8.9 miles N)
San Isabel, CO (9.1 miles SSE)
Cedar Grove, CO (9.7 miles ESE) 


Mingus Ranch Cabin

Per the National Forest Service:

Located in the Wet Mountains, approximately 1 ½ hours from Colorado Springs and 45 minutes from Pueblo.  The Mingus cabin is an early 20th Century ranch that has been renovated by the Forest Service, the Frontier Pathways Scenic and Historic Byway and the Colorado State Historical Society. The barn and cabin have been renovated to their original appearance and the cabin is decorated with period furniture and antiques.  This 2-story cabin accomodates 6 people.  Minimal lights and an electric stove are available. A corral is available at the site for horses.

This cabin is reserveable at: www.recreation.gov (After making your reservation, the confirmation letter will include the combination to the cabin and toilet locks)

Operational Hours:Mingus Ranch is open April 1 thru November 30 each year
Fees$50.00/Night up to 6 people
Restrictions:NO PETS ALLOWED! NO TENT OR RV CAMPING AT CABIN SITE!
Water:No
Operated By:San Isabel National Forest
Information Center:Available May 1st through November (weather dependent). 

Weather and Seasons

The Wet Mountains generally tend to be warmer and drier than most mountain ranges in Colorado. (They are considered "wet" compared to the arid Pueblo and Cañon City areas, however.) The trail system on Saint Charles Peak is popular with dirt bike riders. If you desire to climb this peak without the whine of engines, I suggest snowshoeing or skiing during snow season.

Summer: Expect summers to be relatively hot compared to other mountainous areas of Colorado.

Fall: The autumn leaf display in the Wet Mountains is simply spectacular. In addition the ubiquitous golden-hued Aspen, these mountains also boast thick stands of orange-to-crimson Gamble Oak.

Winter: Nowhere near as high or steep as the Sangre de Cristo Mountains to their west, many of the Wet Mountain summits sit below timberline providing nice cover from winter winds. Combined with a generally smaller snow-pack, much (though not all!) of the Wet Mountains can be enjoyed in snow season without that tingling fear of avalanche experienced in much of the Colorado high country.

Spring: The snows will typically melt earlier in the Spring in the Wet Mountains than in other, higher ranges and mountains to the north.

Near the Summit
 

Unnamed Image
 

Unnamed Image
 




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Wet MountainsMountains & Rocks