Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.09871°N / 2.66699°W
Additional Information County: Bizkaia
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3100 ft / 945 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

SaibigainSaibi in winter time

Saibi axeSaibigain summit

Saibi or Saibigain, the name Saibigain comes from a mountain in the village of Mañaria-Badiano (Bizkaia), close to the summit-pass named Urquiola. with the altitude of 932 mts. and its summit is crowned with a great cross of stone in memory of the Gudaris (Basque freedom fighters) who died in the spanish civil war 1937.

Is in Urkiola Natural Park
Summit is a plane with awesome views of the many peaks from Duranguesdo as Anboto, Arrietabaso, Mugarra, Untzillaitz, Aitz Txiki and many more. Is possible to see Gorbeia and Itxina from the same summit. Traditions saids: In the summit of Saibigain is visible the lamp of Urkiola's Santuary and there is a buried treasure.

Easy trekking to the summit for any route, no difficulties at all, families visites the area very often at weekends.

Getting There

Saibi

I take a bus from Bilbao to Durango, bus schedule is each hours all days. Next from Durango to Urkiola buses schedule is less frequently: 8:15 am, 9:15 am, 10:45am and some more. I used

A)From Urkiola (45m)
Starting in Urkiola mountain pass, go to Toki-Alai (Park's Reception Center) a lot of info with multiple activities and facilities that the Park offers.

Take address as the sign to Saibi said, very easy route wellmarked. Just follow any signs and you will get the summit in 45 minutes. Impossible to lose the enormous stone cross over the summit.

There another two routes but I don't have more info about just these:
By Urkuleta (1h 45m),
By Zumeltza (1h 30 m ).

Links

SaibigainSaibigain viewed from Urkiolamendi



>Urkiola Natural Park
Toki-Alai
phone number: 94 681 41 55

Durgangaldea in english

Mendikat in Spanish



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Basque MountainsMountains & Rocks