Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.02280°N / 2.0884°W
Additional Information Elevation: 4416 ft / 1346 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

TxindokiTxindoki, SE face

SW face of TxindokiTxindoki, SW face

Txindoki or Larrunarri is probably the most popular and beautiful mountain of Guipuzkoa. Located in the Sierra de Aralar, range between the provinces of Guipuzkoa and Navarra, is called often the "Cervino (Matterhorn) of Guipuzkoa" nickname due to its sharp and spectacular ridge west that resembles to the great mountain of the Alpes.
The normal routes do not suppose difficulty for the mountaineers but they have slope as to reward the effort of thousands of persons of all kinds who climb every year this mountain that they feel very rewarded in the top.

Some mountaineers can climb the dangerous and spectacular western ridge (AD: algo dificil) but for this is neccessary experience in rock-climbing.

The most popular route is from Larraitz across the col of Egurral. The second goes from Larraitz across waterfall of Muize (a little more exposed). For mountaineers is a good option climbing for one side descending across another (both routes reach the col of Egurral at SE face of Txindoki). You have another options like the longest route from Navarra (Guardetxe of Aralar).

Another names: Larrunarri, Ñañarri
The most popular name of "Txindoki" is for a former little hut (Txindokiko borda). The name is in euskera language. The pronuntiation of the name (in spanish) is Chindoqui (you must say in english "Cheen-do-kee").

Getting There

LarraitzLarraitz

Normal route trailhead: Larraitz.

Approach to Larraitz from the neighbor main cities:

-from Pamplona (there are several options but I indicate only two):
#1: highway Pamplona-Vitoria to Alsasua. In Alsasua you must to go in direction to Tolosa across the N-1. After Beasain you must to exit in Ordizia and in the village you must to look the signal of Zaldibia (road GI-2133). Before Abaltzisketa, after 13 km from Ordizia we arrive to the Hermit of Larraitz with a great parking (this is the point of beggining of the route).
#2: highway Pamplona-Donosti to the exit of Arbizu (NA-120) and we go across the Puerto de Lizarrusti (617m, a good place for anothers hikes in Aralar like Putxerri or Alleko) we entry in the province of Guipuzkoa. We follow the road GI-120 across the villages of San Gregorio and Ataun to Ordizia. In Ordizia we follow the GI-2133 in direction to Zaldibia/Amezketa.

-from Vitoria: take the N-1 to Alsasua. From here take to north across the Puerto de Etxegarate (658m). After Idiazabal and Beasain we arrive to Ordizia.

Red Tape

No permits required but Aralar is a natural park.
A lot of people in summer.

When To Climb

All the year.
A good winter climb early in the morning in winter in sunny days (dangerous with fog). Generally you must to wait to the snowfalls in december-march to the winter climb but the snow remain only 2-3 months every year.
Without snow is a pretty climb for all the people but only for sportsmen/sportswomen (943 meters of slope, 2h15 min to the summit)

The summit of Txindoki

The summit of Txindoki is very narrow and it has an alpine aspect. You must be careful with rain of snow.

Camping

Many cities and villages with hotels, rural houses,...
The camping in the area is prohibited (and generally you don't need the camping because the climb is short)
For an emergency you had 3 littles huts according with the map of the signal in the trailhead (see the #1 to #3 in the green picture of the route) but really the best hut is in the Col of Egurral (#3).

Mountain Conditions

I.N.M. (see the east of the province de Guipuzcoa)
Meteodat-Euskadi

Books and maps

Aralar-Montaña Vasca (LP Peña).
Aralar (M Angulo/ I Alcalde) with map 1:25.000.

External Links

  • Naturlan.es
    route from Larraitz (spanish)
  • Journal El Correo
    route and sketch (spanish)
  • Aralar
    good pictures with the route (text in spanish)
  • Ataun
    page of this village with info about Aralar (spanish)


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Basque MountainsMountains & Rocks
 
AralarMountains & Rocks