Schildenstein

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.59484°N / 11.72570°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5292 ft / 1613 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

SchildensteinSchildenstein as seen from the eastern saddle


The long east – west running ridge of Blauberge, the Bavarian Blue Mountains within Bavarian Alps, has only two real culmination points: Halserspitze, the main and highest summit of Blauberge and Schildenstein, a good deal lower than Halserspitze but an excellent lookout point and wellknown among hikers and tourists.

Schildenstein is the culmination point of the western part of Blauberge ridge,located between the minor summit of Wichtelplatte to the east and Platteneck to the west, another minor summit of Blauberge. A broad, unnamed saddle divides Schildenstein from Wichtelplatte and the eastern part of Blauberge. This saddle is a beautiful place at the timberline with old and huge spruces, dwarf pines, alpine meadows and some rocks. Blaubergalm which offers food, drinks and accommodation, is located at the eastern end of the saddle. At its western end Schildenstein summit stretches just a bit above timberline, enough to offer beautiful views over Bavarian Alps, Brandenberger Alpen, Pre - Karwendel mountains and Karwendel ranges.

The north slopes of Schildenstein as all the other Blauberge summits, drop down to steep gorges. To the south more gentle wood slopes go down to Achensee valley and the villages of Achenwald and Achenkirch.

Schildenstein is a very popular hike in summer and autumn and a liked ski tour in winter. So do not expect to be alone on top of this mountain. As it is a rather easy hike Schildenstein is a child – friendly undertaking: combine the adventurous ascent via Wolfsschlucht, a gorge with waterfalls (Kleine Wolfsschlucht) and scrambling action on easy rocks with a descent via Königsalm where the little summiteers can be rewarded with a good snack.


Getting There

Main trailheads for Schildenstein are:

  • Wildbad Kreuth and nearby hiker parking areas

  • Schwarze Tenn trailhead for Schildenstein winter (and summer) ascents

  • Achenwald trailhead for southern ascent routes and starting point for mountain bikers



  • SchildensteinBeautiful Tegernsee with Wallberg and (right in the background) Blauberge / Halserspitze



    From Munich

  • use highway A 8 to the exit “Holzkirchen” and road number B 318 / B 307 to Gmund am Tegernsee and Rottach-Egern or Kreuth.

  • for the trailhead Wildbad Kreuth pass through Kreuth village until you reach a hikers parking area left of the road where the road to Wildbad Kreuth branches off B 307.

  • alternatively go on for some more 100 meters until you reach a hiker parking area left and right of the road.

  • for the Schildenstein / Schwarze Tenn trailhead go on about 1,5 km until you reach the parking areas left and right og road number B 318 in front of a huge clearing in the woods

  • for the southern trailhead go on B 318, pass Achenpass and the German - Austrian border and follow road number 181 until you reach the little village of Achenwald. Look for places to park your car.



  • From Innsbruck / Inntal valley

  • leave the highway A 12 (toll road in Austria) at the exit Wiesing / Jenbach and follow the road number 181 to Achensee, Achenkirch, Achenwald (southern trailhead), Achenpass and road number B 307 to Wildbad Kreuth or the other above mentioned trailheads.



  • Railway
    The private railway BOB - Bayerische Oberlandbahn has hourly services from Munich to Tegernsee. At the Tegernsee railway station there are bus services to Kreuth / Wildbad Kreuth and to the other above mentioned trailheads.

  • See the BOB railway schedule here .

  • See the public bus schedule here . Lines: 9550, 9556





  • Main Routes Overview



    Wolfsschlucht Route

    Wildbad Kreuth trailheads – Siebenhütten Inn – Wolfsschlucht – ascent to saddle between Wichtelplatte and Schildenstein, rock scramble, partly secured with steel ropes – Schildenstein summit.
    a 10 minutes detour to the nice waterfall of Kleine Wolfsschlucht (signposts at the trail junction) is a must.

    Steep hiking route, rock scramble and exposure involved; 3 to 3,5 hours

    SchildensteinTypical Alm hut
    SchildensteinSignposts to Kleine Wolfsschlucht
    SchildensteinWolfsschlucht route



    Gaißalm – Königsalm Route

    Wildbad Kreuth trailheads – Gaißalm – Königsalm – Schildenstein summit

    Easy hike, 3 to 3,5 hours

    SchildensteinGaißalm and summit
    SchildensteinSchildenstein from Gaißalm route
    Schildensteinsummit view



    Schwarze Tenn – Königsalm Route

    Schwarze Tenn trailhead – forest road to Königsalm – Schildenstein summit; this ist he ski route, too.

    Easy hiking and ski route, 3 to 3,5 hours

    SchildensteinSouthern view
    SchildensteinButterfly
    SchildensteinSummit view



    South Route via Blaubergalm

    Achenwald trailhead – forest road of Klammbach creek and Mahnmoosbach creek valley – Blaubergalm – saddle between Wichtelplatte and Schildenstein – Schildenstein summit

    SchildensteinWolfsschlucht scramble
    SchildensteinKleine Wolfsschlucht waterfalls



    Wolfsschlucht route and Königsalm – Gaißalm route can be combined to a round trip.


    Red Tape & Accommodation

    Red Tape

    As far as I know there are no special restrictions around Blauberge / Schildenstein

    SchildensteinWolfsschlucht wildflowers
    SchildensteinWolfsschlucht outlook to Risserkogel


    Accommodation

    Valley accommodations

    Hotels, Bed & Breakfast, restaurants and campgrounds can be found mainly in the following villages:

  • Tegernsee

  • Rottach - Egern

  • Kreuth




  • Mountain huts and inns

  • Königsalm

  • Blaubergalm on the south side of Wichtlplatte, a beautiful private Alm hut

  • Siebenhütten, a private hut, only food and drinks



  • SchildensteinKönigsalm, Chevaliers building


    Königsalm is a very special building and worth a visit. The long stretched Alm building was erected in the year 1723 and is the biggest historical Alm building of the region. In 1818 under Bavaring king Maximilian I (this is why the place is called “Kings Alm”) the huge “Chevaliers house” was built to host the king and his shoot during the hunting season. Later on Austrian empress Elisabeth (“Sissi”) visited the Königsalm several times as she liked the region and the building very much.
    Today the dairy man of Königsalm uses the Chevaliers house as home during the summer.


    Gear & Mountain Conditions

    Schildenstein is an all-season mountain.

    In spring, summer and autumn you need normal hiking gear and, depending on the snow cover in spring, gaiters, too.

    The northern ascent / descent via Wolfsschlucht route requires some scrambling, the route is partly secured with steel ropes. In late autumn and winter this northern route can be difficult due to ice or snow. Several fatal accidents happened in the last years!

    In winter Schildenstein it is an easy ski tour (route from Schwarze Tenn trailhead). This ski tour is for beginners and there are not many avalanche – threatened slopes but - as always on ski tours - don´t forget your avalanche gear.

    Check the weather forecast here.

    Check the Bavarian avalanche bulletin here.

    Current Weather:



    Maps & Guide Books

    The most detailed maps for Blauberge are:

    Alpenvereinskarte 1 : 25.000
    Blatt BY 13: Mangfallgebirge West, Tegernsee, Hirschberg
    2009

    Alpenvereinskarte 1 : 25.000
    Blatt BY 14: Mangfallgebirge Süd, Guffert, Unnütz, Juifen
    2010

    The easternmost parts of the area is on the map:

    Alpenvereinskarte 1 : 25.000
    Blatt BY 15: Mangfallgebirge Mitte, Spitzingsee, Rotwand
    2009

    SchildensteinBlauberge / Halserspitze view from Schildenstein
    SchildensteinWolfsschlucht scramble


    Additionally you can use:

    Topographische Karte von Bayern, 1 : 50.000
    Blatt 12, Mangfallgebirge, Tegernsee, Schliersee, Rosenheim
    2005


    Ski Tour Guide Book:

    Robert Demmel, Norbert Schneider: Bayerische Alpen zwischen Inn und Lech; Bergverlag Rudolf Rother, Skitourenführer, München, 2013

    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    Bavarian Pre-AlpsMountains & Rocks