Sesques

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.91897°N / 0.50503°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 8550 ft / 2606 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

SesquesMassif of Sesques

Sesques is an important massif at North of Somport and Portalet, with a main summit very far of the deep valleys. The Pic de Sesques or L'Escarpu (2,606m) is the highest point of the massif but it’s not a very popular climb because the trailheads are below 1,000m high and the routes are long. In this case the summit is presided by an antenna but the routes are prettier than the summit with green valleys and nice lakes. In spite of it the landscape from the summit is very wide.

You have two options to climb Sesques from Bitet and it’s advisable to use one to ascent and the other one to descent. I don’t know that’s better, I think it’s not very important the election because you can visit the nice Lac d’Isabe, in the ascent or in the descent.

Getting There

The forest track of Bitet is between Gabas and Eaux-Chaudes in the road D-934 at North of Portalet.


See bigger map

Red Tape

The forest track is not always in good conditions and it's only open from june.

Camping

You have a lot of posibilities in Spanish or French side. I show only a few of it.

Refuges / Lodges:
-Chalet-Refuge du CAF (Gabas)

Campings:
-Camping des Gaves (Laruns).
-More Campings Laruns/Ossau: list

Hotels:
-Hotels and restaurants in Laruns's area: list

External Links

mendikat.net, it's my page in Spanish about the peak.
Nire Mendiak: Sesques, it's a very interesting description with images (Text in Spanish).
Pirineos3000: Sesques, more pictures, text in Spanish.
vallee-ossau information (French).
petit train d'Artouste the small train to Lake of Artouste.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Pyrénées: BéarnMountains & Rocks