Sheikh Hamdan

Sheikh Hamdan

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 29.58234°N / 35.38078°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.4 (YDS)
Additional Information Difficulty: PD
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Ascending shelfGreat Siq from south


Sheikh Hamdan's Route is one of the easiest ways to the summit of Jebel Rum. The biggest advantage of Hamdan before the others easy routes, it is all the day long in a shade! It also is interesting by the logical line on a clear shelf that rises from the bottom of Great Siq to the domes plateau. It make the Hamdan a real classic!

This route is excellent possibility to get acquainted with Jebel Rum mountain and also to look from there at desert of Wadi Rum... For non-climbers it should take two days with spending the night at plateau near the summit (highly recommended), but of course it quite possible to finish in one day.

The first recorded climb in Wadi Rum!!! Sheikh Hamdan Amad, Sylvia Branford, Charmian Longstaff, November 1952

Approach

Approach to Sheikh Hamdan s RouteTopo of approach and route itself




First of all it is necessary to reach Wadi Rumman. By jeep from the Rum village it will take about 20 minutes and 25JD(~30$). From Wadi Rumman route goes north to the saddle between J.Rumman and J.Rum massif. Steep walk to the saddle will take about half hour till you will see entrance to the canyon of Great Siq from Wadi um Hassa. Enter to the Siq, cross big boulders and continue approaching a wall of the dried waterfall. Here route starts and you will see white arrows that show a way on the right wall.





Route Description

On Hamdan s shelfsome exposed move


From the dried waterfalls go by zigzag on northern (right) wall while will see a clear shelf. The way is not so obvious and there will be one simple (4) move on barrier wall and all the rest about 2+. Searches of a route will be much easier since a shelf.

Shelf rather simple, but there few exposed places where is very recommended to secure yourself by handrail rope. At the ramp there are only one complexity - the short thin chimney (3+) and after 2/3 hours you will be at the flat area.

Shelf ends with old junipers and enters to the hollow with trees. After crossing the hollow turn right (south) and climb red slab, go around it entering to the very thin crack. Then scramble a big slab, turn right and descent to the big sandy area. Go trough the sands to the south and then turn left and climb to the next sandy area. Following cairns climb to the east up to sandy corridor.

You can leave your packs here and ascend the J.Rum summit - 5 minutes to the south. Summit looks like a huge ship, it is difficult to mix with other domes.

Descent

Abseil from Hammad s ridgeabseil from Hammad ridge


There are two variants - to go back by the route or to continue to the east and descent with the Hammad Route. Choose the second one if you are assured of the abilities to be guided or are familiar with Hammad's domes! There are also 4-5 necessary abseils!!!

Essential Gear

50m ropes x2, slings, helmets and other personal equipment for rappelling. Also rings and cords may be necessary...

Red Type

Be ready to the heights and exposed ledges!!! Take 3 liter of water for day per person!!! Non-climbers should take guide that easily can be found at Rum village.




Wadi RummanWadi Rumman


Wadi um HassaWadi um Hassa


Summit of J.RumSummit of Jebel Rum


Hammad DomesHammad Domes




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Wadi RumRoutes