Sinclair Coulior

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.39700°N / 106.1°W
Additional Information Route Type: Steep Snow - HIGH AVALANCHE EXPOSURE!!!!!
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3-4
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Cristo Coulior-------Sinclair Coulior


Same apporach as if climbing Cristo Coulior

Break trail from the road approx 1500' before the Cristo Coulior, You will notice a chopped coulior approx 800' above the road. Scramble to the base of this climb and begin your ascent.

As with most routes on Qundary Peak this route is ideal in winter months, loose scree will torment you on a summer approach I would only do this climb with good pack snow

Route Description

Sinclair Coulior
This climb will offer someone looking for a tough start and an easy end an excellent climb, PLENTY of exposure and avalanche danger. Please be certain of your skills and of the avalanche danger before doing this climb.

From the Blue Lakes Rd.
Hike as if setting out for the Cristo Coulior and break trail to the base of Sinclair Coulior (see photo)
You will know you are at the right place when you notice the Plaque on your right looking up through the route.
Begin your ascent by traveling either left or right of the large boulders up the coulior.
The actual coulior route is not incredibly long but offers a steep and enjoyable option on Quandary Peak, you will climb approx 900' through the route and will have some essential hazards in your path.
View Down Coulior

The degree of difficulty on this climb is due to the extreme exposure after you finish the physical Coulior and top out at what is going to seem a giant slab waiting to drag you off of the South Face of Quandary.

Final Push
When you get close to topping out you will come upon a segment of fairly large boulders completely covered by snow that are going to swallow you up to (at some points) your chest in snow, this is the fun part in my opinion, but also an area that takes quite a bit of your energy.
Once topped out make way sharp right to the exposed rock, this will help to keep you out of the grunt of the avalanche zone.
Climbing from this point you will have a few areas open to eat lunch after the tough start of this climb, there is minimal reason for roping up on this climb. In MY Opinion faster and lighter, the better.


Note
You will not finish this climb at the summit of Quandary, you will still have approx 500' to your final summit of this beautiful mountain, You will "top out" right about here

Essential Gear

Ice Axes

HELMET!!

hydration pack

Avalanche Beacon

Avalanche Danger and Weather Information

March 25,2005

Avalanche information = 303-275-5360 Statewide

Realtime winds and high altitude weather Aviation Information
Very informative and realtime
Another Link interactive

Descent

East Ridge

Dedication

This route will not be found in any guide book, I came upon it one day while en' route to doing the Cristo Coulior.

I have named this climb in dedication to a man Shawn Sinclair whome I have never met nor heard of except for the label on his plaque "This Is What It's All About". I believe that really sums up this climb, I have attempted to find info on him and to see if he passed away doing this climb or if this was just an area he made his stomping grounds and have came up dry.

The exposure of this route would lead me to guess that this is how he met his fate. I hope in some small way this shows his family respects for Mr. Sinclair and that as mountaineers we all care even if we have never met.

I hope everyone who comes upon this plaque will spend a few seconds paying respects to Mr. Sinclair and asking blessings for a safe and enjoyable climb.




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.