Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.82900°N / 111.756°W
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 5040 ft / 1536 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is the rightmost of the church spires when viewed from the parking lot. The standard route is a (somewhat adventurous in my mind) 4 pitch 5.7 climb. The climbing is mostly easy, on occasionally dubious rock, with a few short sections that seem a bit stiff for 5.7. The main attraction in my mind is getting to the summit of an impressive looking pinnacle at a moderate grade, rather than any great climbing. This would be a good climb for the summer, as it is largely shaded.

Getting There

Along the Slabs
From the intersection of route 89a and route 179 in Sedona, take route 179 south for 2.9 miles. Make a left off of 179 onto Chapel road. Park somewhere near the end of the road by the Chapel (note that some of the parking lots are just for people visiting the chapel. about 100 yards before the chapel, the "Chapel trail" takes off towards the rocks. This is your starting point. Take the trail for a few tenths of a mile, passing a cylinder of rocks encased in mesh wire, and a short section of walking on bare bedrock. Take a gully up to the left, passing a few cairns. Scramble up a short band of cliffs/slabs, and traverse right across some slabs to come around the front of Christianity Tower (the 2nd tower from the right). Head up a gully to the notch between Christianity tower, and Streaker Spire. This should take roughly 1/2 hour.

Red Tape

Be careful not to park in one of the lots that are specifically for people visiting the Chapel. I read on mountain project that parking might be difficult. This was not the case when I was there on a nice Saturday in mid-march.





Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sedona Spire ClimbsMountains & Rocks