Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.81980°N / 111.7926°W
Additional Information Elevation: 4840 ft / 1475 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Rising 450 feet above the surrounding landscape, the Mace is one of the wildest sandstone towers found anywhere in the United States. The climbing on the standard East Face route is interesting, varied, and consistently in the 5.7 to 5.9 range. The last pitch is a memorable experience, starting with a step-across from The Mace's lower summit tower to the final face moves up to the register. Climbers aspiring to summit this formation should be solid at 5.9 offwidths, experienced on sandstone, and well-rounded at all other aspects of the climb, including chimneys, face, and hand cracks.

The Mace is located in in the Cathedral Rocks group in Sedona Arizona. With a 15-minute approach, this peak should be on every climber's must-do list.

Please submit photos and corrections if you make this stunning climb!

Getting There

From the "Y" in Sedona, Arizona, drive south on Highway 179 past Chapel Road. Turn right onto Back O' Beyond Road, about 3.4 miles from the "Y". A short distance down this road, on the left hand side, is the parking area for the Mace.

Red Tape

A Red Rock Pass ($5) is required to park and hike/climb anywhere in the Sedona area and may be purchased many places around town. This permit is required to park at the trailhead leading to the Mace.

As of Dec. 2005, there is a self-issue vending machine at the Trailhead for the Red Rock Pass. The machine takes cash or plastic.


When To Climb

Autumn, Winter, and Spring are the best times to climb the Mace. Summer heat can make the climbing miserable. The Mace should not be attempted for several days after a rainstorm, due to softening of the rock from water saturation.

Camping

There is camping in Oak Creek Canyon. Many of the camping areas have camping fees.

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
brutus of wyde

brutus of wyde - Jan 3, 2006 5:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Great information! I've added it to the main text. Congratulations on your climb!

rpc

rpc - Jan 3, 2006 4:20 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

As of Dec. 2005, there was a self issue vending machine at the TH. Takes cash or plastic.

brutus of wyde

brutus of wyde - Jan 3, 2006 5:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Great information! I've added it to the main text. Congratulations on your climb!

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.